Gotway RS pedal mod

So i missed being able to fold out the pedals simply using my foot to flip them open as it is not possible on the RS with the design of the shell more or less making the pedals flush with the side panels.

So i did an easy mod yesterday:

First i cut 2 small pieces of wood and sanded down all the surfaces, getting them as flat as possible within reason.

Next i painted them to be less of an eyesore and to fit with the all black theme. When they dried i used a strong glue named araldite to fix them onto the sides of the pedals. I should have placed them lower on the pedal i now realize as i don't have much clearance to access them with my shoe but they work. Also they would be less susceptible to getting knocked off the pedal in tight turns had i put them lower but now i know for next time. 

As the araldite was drying i cut out small pieces of Mob griptape and put them on the top of the wooden pieces to have more grip when flipping the pedals down.

IMG_20210509_153538.thumb.jpg.f623383c93c9c01021d3347facc157ba.jpgIMG_20210509_153529.thumb.jpg.9229e4aa5e985f13b62316783b398783.jpgIMG_20210509_153522.thumb.jpg.38e29acbe9b4ce569a6d88cf08c6ae83.jpg

This is great for not having to bend all the time to fold the pedals down. So now i can finally do as i've always done when it comes to starting my ride: I would be holding the trolley handle, use my left foot to flip down the left pedal and mount it with the left foot, then as i'm riding one legged use my right foot to flip down the right pedal and mount that with the right foot and then ride off.

Also took the time to replace the crappy and deteriorated stock griptape and removed the rubber inserts that only helps you with slipping rather than gripping. Also i have seen people talking about the rubber inserts helping with shock absorption and that is just lunacy. They only help with slipping when wet or not having as much contact with the griptape if you want that for some reason (???) 

IMG_20210509_154048.thumb.jpg.5a427fca9d634d9d3d019ccd773f384b.jpg

I wish i had discovered vicious griptape before buying Mob griptape. Don't get me wrong Mob is really grippy and a huge upgrade from the stock griptape but vicious is in another dimension of grip altogether and i will be getting that next time for sure.

Edited by xiiijojjo

great idea, but I do wonder if there is a risk of that foam catching on something. At least when the bottom of the pedal is flat it will slide over rocks or curbs. perhaps you have already modified your wheel to raise the pedal height, but on mine they are too low to feel safe with that particular mod.

2 minutes ago, UniMe said:

great idea, but I do wonder if there is a risk of that foam catching on something. At least when the bottom of the pedal is flat it will slide over rocks or curbs. perhaps you have already modified your wheel to raise the pedal height, but on mine they are too low to feel safe with that particular mod.

Only foam parts are my side pads. This pedal mod is made with wood,glue,griptape and paint.

I too have the V1 RS low pedal hangers but i don't think it will be a problem as i don't off-road.
Also for curbs the wheel will increase in altitude before the wooden piece gets close to the curb if that makes sense? I Also noticed it's possible to make them ½ the width next time as they don't even need to stick out a lot to be able to grip them with my shoe. 

So there are improvements to be made for sure but for now they seem to work fine. 

Agreed with UniMe on this one.  The idea is nice, but the reality is that you just lowered your pedal height by the thickness of that block, and you have added something that makes it much easier to snag your pedals.  If you don't turn hard and only ride on pavement, I expect you will be ok, but otherwise seems like it's a step backward despite the convenience of not having to use your hand to lower the pedals.