Red Deer (Alberta) Meetup - Saturday May 22 (Long Weekend)

We are going to have a meetup in Red Deer on Saturday May 22. We'll have a bunch of Edmonton wheel folk there and it looks like Mike from gowheels.ca will be coming out as well. We'd love it if some Calgary and other Southern Alberta riders could make it out.

We're going to go down and scope out some trails and try to have it set up so people of all ages and abilities can participate -- some paths for advanced riders on power wheels, some for beginner and intermediate and smaller wheels. The idea is to have a bit of a BBQ after as well.

We're still nailing down some of the details, but I wanted to get this posted now so people would know this is an option for the May long weekend. 

Please let me know by commenting here (okay) or sending an email to terry@yegwheel.net (preferred) if you plan to come out. Knowing how many people will be very helpful to ensuring this will be successful. If it works out, maybe we could turn this into an annual thing.

Well, while Covid can't kill our fun, it can delay it for a while. New restrictions imposed today are unlikely to be lifted in by the May long weekend, so we'll push this back to Saturday, June 26th.

• 1 month later...

I'll try to make it. My sister lives up there and it would be a good excuse to make the trip. Mostly off road, trails, or paths (difficult or easy?) I ask because I dropped off the old V8 a couple of weeks back, and I might be able to convince one of them to join in a ride. (Or not... They are "that age.") ;)

I suppose it might also depend if I have a unicycle for the ride... Still waiting on a board and another wheel...

Hi, it's Saturday, June 19th now.  We are renting a bus to bring people down from Edmonton, I'll bring some extra wheels down with me. We plan to roll in to Red Deer at around 9:30am, and scheduled depart time is 6pm. We'll be doing a BBQ thing as part of this, and I'll be bringing some extra wheels along. We've done some scouting there already, another day planned. We are going to have rides planned for different abilities / wheels. There is lots of casual riding territory there, as well as some more challenging stuff for those looking for a challenge.

I'm investigating whether we can get into the bike park, not clear on that aspect just yet.

We'd love to meet up with any Calgary folk (or riders from anywhere for that matter) who can make it out.

The date on this has kind of bounced around; we're hoping to do another one down the road if we can at least prove out the concept, get a handle on logistics issues etc. on this occasion.

If wheels are needed please let me know so I know what to bring down. I have a bunch of MTen3s, 14Ds, a few Teslas and a 16S. Nothing too spectacular but enough for some of the basic planned rides.

• 2 weeks later...

Ill be there for awhile at least. Still hoping to have them join. They are worried they wont keep up. I told them we can always just do our own thing...

Still.a 13:00 big group ride?

• 2 weeks later...

I should probably mention that I did make it out... Later in the afternoon. I assume that everybody was on a group ride. I took the Mten3 for a little zip around the pond and along the paths before taking this one picture to show that I really was there... Also I liked the look of the worlds smallest wheel next to your bus wheel. 

Maybe next time? There are probably a few others on electric skateboards / one wheels in YYC that might even join... I know they are either on too many wheels or that they face the wrong way when they ride. But at least they have the right idea on propulsion...

Red Deer.jpg

Edited by DWOTR
  • Like 1

Too bad, really sorry we missed you. It seemed to go pretty well. Well enough for sure that we'll be doing it again, not exactly sure when though. Some OneWheel folk came out both from Edmonton and Red Deer so we had some pretty decent numbers in the end. Having the ASHOF as a base worked out very well also.