Diagnosis for this S18 clunk noise

Obee

New clunk manifested today.  It occurs when changing from acceleration to deceleration also the other way.  It feels like a pocket of "slop" between the motor and the pedals.  It also occurs with the suspension locked out, which it was in this vid:

My thoughts so far:

The axle is connected to the "pants".

The pedals are connected to the "pipes" that slide within the pants. 

So perhaps the feeling of slop is due to the pipes being loose in the pants. 

I notice the seals at top of the pants have ridden up out of position and just hang out up on the pipes. If I pop them back onto the pants they just pop out again when I step on wheel. 

I love the revealed official part names! 😄

The “belts” (seals) on top and the bottom of the pants are there to prevent dust and ants from entering between the pants and the legs. I would try to glue them on the pants for this very reason, as we definitely don’t want ants in the pants. Even just silicone caulk might do the trick.

Btw, have you lubed the legs? Might help the belts stay on the pants.

Edit: None of the above is targeting the actual clunk issue. I’d expect some S18 owners to have stumbled upon and found tips to help with this issue.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

I wish I could take credit, I saw those names on a suspension rebuild post.  They must be official!

I haven't lubed anything but the suspension itself seems marvelous. This is the version with asymmetric tire and no battery case knock-out block. 

Just rode it another 6 miles jumping curbs and climbing dirt slopes and really didn't get a lot of clunk. If I transition smoothly to acceleration or deceleration there is no clunk. Only a clunk in an abrupt transition. 

I am going to try ignoring it for awhile and see if that helps.

And maybe glue the seals to the pants!

Lubeing the legs is something you might also want to do. Just like in a car engine, moving metal to metal contacts all get a steady dose of lube all the time for a reason. I think silicone spray has been mentioned the most for the S18 suspension tubes.