Some questions about my NBO

Tyred

Hello all.

I've recently bought myself a Ninebot One E+.
It arrived one week ago, a lot of struggling and a few scratches later I kind of learned how to ride it.

Still have some questions unanswered.

- I read a topic on here but still don't quite get it: the riding mode. In the app you can set this from 0 to 9. Don't get what it changes.

- When riding and going quite fast, the pedals (and the whole thing) leans back a lot (while going forward). Quite annoying, asking a lot of balance. I assume this isn't normal, or is it? Am I doing something wrong, do I need to change a setting? Can I fix this somehow?First thing I wondered was if I was standing on it the wrong way... Is this even possible? On/off button is at the front when riding, right?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Tyred said:

I read a topic on here but still don't quite get it: the riding mode. In the app you can set this from 0 to 9. Don't get what it changes.

0 is a more firm and reactive mode.  The higher you get the more of a delay there will be when you lean to when it reacts which will effectively create a softer ride.

1 hour ago, Tyred said:

When riding and going quite fast, the pedals (and the whole thing) leans back a lot (while going forward). Quite annoying, asking a lot of balance. I assume this isn't normal, or is it?

The leaning back is normal.  This is the Ninebot's way of saying "you are going too fast, slow down!".  

1 hour ago, Tyred said:

On/off button is at the front when riding, right?

Technically, it doesn't matter to the electronics which way it is facing.  It goes both ways just as easily.  But you should have the button to the front if only for the reason that if you wreck, the Ninebot will likely tumble forward and will be more likely to break off the handle if the handle is pointing to the front.  

Thank you very much for your answer.

Reassured now that it's not a technical issue, the leaning back. Sometimes it feels as if I'm not going fast at all when it starts leaning back, but that might be just me.

5 minutes ago, Cranium said:

0 is a more firm and reactive mode.  The higher you get the more of a delay there will be when you lean to when it reacts which will effectively create a softer ride.

So a softer ride seems (or sounds to my beginner's ears) better, but everyone around here seems to be riding on 3 or 0. 
Is it just something you need to get used to? Do you need to be a more advanced rider to go lower?

If I recall, the default mode is at 3 which is why a lot of people start there. :) 

You might want to change it down to 0 now.  If you are riding it fine and are already hitting the limits for speed, you won't have an issue at 0.  You will likely like it a bit more.

I've been riding about4-5 hours now, but getting the hang of it. First big fall today, was wondering if the leaning back had something to do with it. 
Will probably take some time before I know what speed to maintain to avoid the tilting back and the beeping sounds...

Thanks for the tips!

2 minutes ago, ToniG123 said:

@tyred Maybe you've got the speed limiter activated on the app and are hitting the configured speed limit.

Where can I check? Are you talking about the Ninedroid app or the Ninebot app? I've downloaded both, don't even know which one's better or which one's redundant...
Can't find something like a limiter though. All I see for "Speed settings" is "Lit-Speed of Lit-Mode" and I'm assuming this controls the speed of the LEDs?

11 minutes ago, Tyred said:

I've been riding about4-5 hours now, but getting the hang of it. First big fall today, was wondering if the leaning back had something to do with it. 
Will probably take some time before I know what speed to maintain to avoid the tilting back and the beeping sounds...

Thanks for the tips!

A good suggestion is to stay just below the beeps.  If you were going fast when you fell, and you were hearing the beeping, then that likely had something to do with it.  As mentioned before, it leans back to warn you something bad might happen, like shutting OFF.  Slow down to keep your pedals either leaning forward or level.  I'm guessing you are younger, because you already want more speed after 4 hours, and have fallen at high speed and are here to talk about it. ;)  Be safe and wear protective gear (At least till you are better).  I wear it every ride, but I'm also 50ish.

I rode on 3 for a while and didn't mind it at all.  After getting more comfortable and doing tighter turns, I like 0 better.

6 minutes ago, Tyred said:

All I see for "Speed settings" is "Lit-Speed of Lit-Mode" and I'm assuming this controls the speed of the LEDs?

That's the speed limiter.  When activated, it limits to those speeds in kph.  When de-activated, those do not matter as it will do full speed.

Good catch @ToniG123, I forgot about that.

1 minute ago, SuperSport said:

I'm guessing you are younger, because you already want more speed after 4 hours, and have fallen at high speed and are here to talk about it. ;) 

I'm 26, but I admit I might be a tad too enthusiastic when learning new things. :P About the protective gear, the way I've fallen today, protective gear wouldn't have helped since they usually only protect knees, elbows and head. I however somehow managed to fall (or roll) and scrape my hips! I will be more careful from now on, definitely, and try to find a perfect speed (not necessarily the max speed ;) ). Thanks for the advice!

In Ninedroid, when the speed limiter is enabled, you will have the red Speed Limit shown with the red speedometer in the lower left hand corner of the screen.

Screenshot_20151125-173155.thumb.png.c99

In the Ninebot app, when the speed limiter is enabled, the speedometer icon on the top (between the lock and Bluetooth icons) will be enabled.

Screenshot_20151117-010240.thumb.png.f9f

@Tyred seriously consider wearing protective gear. You've been lucky this time, next time it may be worse, believe me. 

I've broken some bones on my NB1E+ and since then always wear helmet, knee, wrist and elbow protection.

6 minutes ago, ToniG123 said:

In the ninebot app, on the main screen in the lower left corner there is a small icon that will activate/deactivate the speed limiter.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Cranium said:

In the Ninebot app, the speedometer icon on the top (between the lock and Bluetooth icons) will be enabled.

And I want it to be disabled, right?
By the way, what 's the use of two apps? Both apps seem (to me) to have same functionalities...

Just now, ToniG123 said:

@Tyred seriously consider wearing protective gear. You've been lucky this time, next time it may be worse, believe me. 

I've broken some bones on my NB1E+ and since then always wear helmet, knee, wrist and elbow protection.

I am. Will be looking for them in a sports store. Do you still wear them, as an advanced user?

I don't think I can be called an advanced user yet, I've only done about 150km on it but I do use it every day for going to my office and I am enjoying it. I took a bad fall and always use protective gear since then.

Not sure about the differences in the apps, I always ride with the speed limiter disabled as I don't feel comfortable over 15 km/h and never go over that speed (sort of a natural speed limiter).

I know you didn't ask me this question, and I'm in no way an Advanced Rider (about 150 Miles), but I wear a helmet every ride.  There's a BIG fight debate over helmet use on EUC's in the forums, and I won't get into that, other than to say I personally use one due to my 50ish years of extreme sports experience.  I've seen accidents with and without, and I prefer one.

14 minutes ago, Tyred said:

I will be more careful from now on, definitely, and try to find a perfect speed (not necessarily the max speed ;) ). 

The way I seem to find the perfect speed is to go faster until I crash. Then I don't go that fast for a while. :lol: Actually it's not the speed on a smooth level surface that gets me, it's uneven surfaces or steep inclines. Twice I have out-leaned my EUC and fallen forward, I was very glad I was wearing a helmet and gloves both times. The first time I was in just a t-shirt and shorts, got a bunch of road rash. The second time I had on long jeans and a jacket, didn't have much body damage at all even though it was a harder fall. You always think you can run off a problem but once you get past 10mph it's really hard because your reaction time is just not fast enough!

2 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

You always think you can run off a problem but once you get past 10mph it's really hard because your reaction time is just not fast enough!

I've noticed that tonight, indeed. :P 

7 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I know you didn't ask me this question..

Any tips are helpful, so thank you very much. Do you wear a helmet when riding a bicycle? Because I don't and I probably won't be going any faster than I do when riding a bike. I don't know if riding an EUC can be compared to a bike though.

1 hour ago, Tyred said:

Do you wear a helmet when riding a bicycle? Because I don't and I probably won't be going any faster than I do when riding a bike. I don't know if riding an EUC can be compared to a bike though.

I do wear a helmet while riding a bike.  Although, I consider the EUC easier to fall off of.  The EUC can stop randomly and abruptly, bicycles normally do not.  The EUC has one wheel and as such is easier to lose traction or loose control if one wheel slips.  I ride bikes in a power slide quite often.  If you catch a deep groove on a bike, you can Often ride it out.  If you catch a deep groove on an EUC, you can Sometimes ride it out.

I've jumped from Planes, Cliffs, Towers; Flown Planes, Hang Gliders, and Ultralights; Ridden Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, ATV's, Buggies, and will continue to do these things as long as I'm healthy enough to do so.  The helmet is just PART of my insurance that I Might be able to continue.

But, the main reason I wear one is because my wife has asked me to :rolleyes:, and to make her happy and allow me to keep doing the extreme types of things I like, I do wear it.  I also have Grand kids, and I'd like to be healthy in one piece as long as possible.

4 hours ago, SuperSport said:

I do wear a helmet while riding a bike.  Although, I consider the EUC easier to fall off of.  The EUC can stop randomly and abruptly, bicycles normally do not.  The EUC has one wheel and as such is easier to lose traction or loose control if one wheel slips.  I ride bikes in a power slide quite often.  If you catch a deep groove on a bike, you can Often ride it out.  If you catch a deep groove on an EUC, you can Sometimes ride it out.

I've jumped from Planes, Cliffs, Towers; Flown Planes, Hang Gliders, and Ultralights; Ridden Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, ATV's, Buggies, and will continue to do these things as long as I'm healthy enough to do so.  The helmet is just PART of my insurance that I Might be able to continue.

But, the main reason I wear one is because my wife has asked me to :rolleyes:, and to make her happy and allow me to keep doing the extreme types of things I like, I do wear it.  I also have Grand kids, and I'd like to be healthy in one piece as long as possible.

All I can say is... Wow, now I know why you are called SuperSport! 

1 minute ago, SlowMo said:

All I can say is... Wow, now I know why you are called SuperSport! 

Hehe, actually, my Initials are SLS.  I shortened to SS.  Also used SuperSport as my CB handle when I was in my teens.

Archived