Lighter riders with Shermans?

I bought my first EUC in November and have so far logged about 2000km on it (~1250 miles). It's a Gotway Tesla V2 with the upgraded 1500Wh battery. I'm a light rider, about 140lbs (63kg), and tend to prefer longer rides and cruising; I have little interest in jumps and tricks but would like to be able to do more trails with loose surfaces (we did a trail this weekend with a bit of snow and packed sand and it was a challenge on the Tesla's skinny road tire). I can currently do rides up to about 75-80km (longest so far was 85km / 53 miles) on a charge but would like to extend that up to 120km / 75 miles or more. Thus, I'm considering a Veteran Sherman.

However, I'm concerned that it might be too much for a smaller guy like me to handle. The Tesla is the only wheel I've ever ridden (not many other riders in this area - I've actually never met anyone else with an EUC!). I'm getting comfortable with slow speed (walking speed and slower) handling and carving at speed, but the Sherman is a big wheel with a lot of speed and stability.

Are there any other riders out there my size that ride Shermans? If so, can you comment on what it was like moving up from a small, nimble wheel up to the Sherman? Will the larger, knobby tire make a big difference on loose trail surface when you factor in the extra ~40lbs of weight? I'm open to other suggestions for wheels that might be able to do 100 miles on a charge, as that's my primary interest for a second wheel. A wider off-road tire will also be a benefit. Thanks!

• Like 1

Im lighter than you and am rollin a sherm. It IS a heavy wheel to toss about, but it seems like its something we can learn to overcome. I'm primarily street, but have taken it off road a little bit. I found it to be pretty stable and reliable on imperfections. It would be nice if it was half as heavy, but battery tech isnt giving us that choice yet. The sherms off road tire offers great traction and seems like a stable choice to me. I have a few boring videos of me on the sherm, so its possible to ride at 130lbs and I have proof. Fwiw, the Sherm probably doesnt quite go 100 miles offroad. I havent range tested mine, as I wear out LONG before the wheel, but I do think others have.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I've been riding on 'bad' surfaces (packed and frozen snow walking trails) for the past few days and did get some video of my wheel bouncing all over the place... what surprised me was how many small corrections my legs were making to account for directional shifts, slipping and all that mess that comes from an uneven and not particularly "grippy" surface. While a heavy wheel like the Sherman wouldn't get tossed around as much as my 16X, I am making way more small directional corrections by twisting my feet than I expected to see. A heavier wheel will make those more challenging until the body adapted but at some point the sheer mass is going to be a factor. Nevertheless I say go for it. The island doesn't get that much snow, logging roads are less crazy surfaces, it's a dang big island, and I didn't see many/any EV charging stations when we visited a couple of years ago... the range will be handy to have.

When they let us COVID infested 'mericans cross the border again I'd like to ride on the island, it's really pretty up there.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

I'm the same weight as you at 140 pounds and around 6 feet tall. Add a few pounds with gear on, but honestly I have no problems tossing around my sherman. It's a very well balanced wheel. Definitely heavy, but I am more than able to move it around and pull the available power out of the wheel with the pads that I have. I came from an S18 which is about 25 pounds lighter. Had to get used to the weight of the sherman but after a while, the size and stability of the extra weight grew on me. Unfortunately I'd have to agree with Shane and say that the Sherman will probably come in under 100 miles if you're travelling at any measureable speed or traversing ground that is less than perfect.