Ninebot Z10 won't turn off

litewave

I purchased a slightly used Z10 with <50km from a seller on this forum three months ago. All has been good so far, other than minor quirks that all new wheels have. Today I went for a ride in light rain for an hour. The wheel did get wet but not drenched, and all the seals and covers were intact. After returning, the wheel will not shut off. I have tried short press, long press, laying the wheel on its side, and just waiting for the wheel to auto shut-off. After shutting off, the wheel reboots immediately and stays on.

I have removed the side covers to let the wheel dry, but there was no evidence of moisture. I also ran the posture calibration option in the Ninebot app, but it has no affect. Any recommendations on what I can do to turn off the wheel, short of further disassembly and disconnection of the battery?

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 6:13 PM, litewave said:

I purchased a slightly used Z10 with <50km from a seller on this forum three months ago. All has been good so far, other than minor quirks that all new wheels have. Today I went for a ride in light rain for an hour. The wheel did get wet but not drenched, and all the seals and covers were intact. After returning, the wheel will not shut off. I have tried short press, long press, laying the wheel on its side, and just waiting for the wheel to auto shut-off. After shutting off, the wheel reboots immediately and stays on.

I have removed the side covers to let the wheel dry, but there was no evidence of moisture. I also ran the posture calibration option in the Ninebot app, but it has no affect. Any recommendations on what I can do to turn off the wheel, short of further disassembly and disconnection of the battery?

Update1: After an hour, I disconnected both battery leads and waited another hour, then turned the wheel back on. Headlight came on immediately and won't turn off. Tried short press and long press. Waited five minutes, and the wheel shut off on its own, without the twelve warning beeps. Turned the wheel back on; headlight came back on; again the headlight and wheel won't turn off at the handle. Again, waited approx. five minutes and the wheel turned off on its own without warning beeps. Repeated once more, same results, except wheel shut off in just 2 minutes - again, no warning beeps. Tried a fourth time and the wheel started with just a quick press of the power-on button, but the headlamp did not come on. Tried to turn the wheel off with a quick press and the headlight came on. Tried to power off headlamp and wheel again with long/short presses, wheel doesn't turn off. Waited more than 10 minutes and decided to turn off the headlamp in Darknessbot. Waited another 5-10 minutes, and the wheel sounded its usual 12 warning beeps, turned itself off, then turned itself immediately back on again. Disconnected the battery again and will let sit overnight.

At this point I'm beginning to suspect the switch in the handle assembly: that it wasn't water-tight and is malfunctioning as a result of water infiltration.

Update2: I titled the wheel forward and allowed it to sit overnight, hoping that any moisture would drain/evaporate. The next morning, there were no further issues. To be safe, I taped/sealed a dessicant pack to the on-off switch, which still works properly with the extra padding. In another week or two, I'll seal the switch with a tiny amount of clear silicon sealant around the edges.  I plan to disassemble the wheel when I have more time in a couple months for  detailed inspection and to apply sealant or dielectric grease on the underside.

Z10dessicant.jpg

Edited by litewave

It is 100% water in the power button. Its the Z's only weak point re water.

I had exactly the same thing once.

Its a pita, the whole wheel has to be stripped to get the handle assembly off, remove the power button and dry it out. When I used an absorbant kitchen roll I could see the dampness on it when I squeezed the button with it. But even that wasnt enough, I had to carefully split the button itself to get inside it properly.

You may be lucky and not have to strip the button (its held together by some small metal legs IIRC) but I just couldnt get it bone dry otherwise. I found it takes a tiny amount of moisture to upset the switching.

Edit: at the time I was using one of the 3D printed button surrounds, I partially blamed it on that because it allowed water to pool on top of the button rather than run off. Do you have one as well? I removed the surround immediately but I must admit I never got to try it in the rain again as I never ride if it looks like rain (it was the one and only time I got caught out).

There is a rubber seal around the button and during stripdown it looked sufficient to protect the button hence my suspicion about the 3rd party surround piece.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience, lite wave and Planemo. I made a mistake of riding my Z10 through a rain shower and encountered the same issue. I couldn’t figure out how to access to the handle part since the part in question is secured with special bolts.  In the end, I did what you did: Left my Z10 face down overnight.  Strangely and quite lucky, it worked!  I appreciate both of your input. 

• Like 1