possibly defective Mten3?

Eucnewbie

I bought a new Mten3 and out of the box when I turn it on it keeps cycling up and down the power, making a sound and consuming power on the EUCworld app. I don't know how to get the logs of the app so I made a video of the EUC and the phone to explain. 

I have had other EUCc and none of them have had this issue, including an Mten3, is this a new addition or is there something wrong with my unit? Is there a diagnostics app? 

The seller told me it's the fan but I don't think that makes too much sense

video: https://www.mediafire.com/file/4jvdbi2a722ga78/IMG_3464.MOV/file?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.4fa33e5fLo8b7D

• Like 1

Mine has never acted as you describe.  Does it continue to do that when you lay it on its side? I never hear my fan. It could be trying to upright itself on the couch and its fighting itself just a little bit? The temps are really low, so it shouldnt need much fan. What does it do when you roll it back and forth while on? Does it make any difference when you change from hard to soft modes?

Edited by ShanesPlanet

My new 84V Mten3 does the same exact thing. I think it just the way they chose to run the fan. It has never been a problem and rides just fine. I would not worry about it. Ride it and have a good time.

My Monster fan pulses like that too, but it has to get warm 1st.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Mine has never acted as you describe.  Does it continue to do that when you lay it on its side? I never hear my fan. It could be trying to upright itself on the couch and its fighting itself just a little bit? The temps are really low, so it shouldnt need much fan. What does it do when you roll it back and forth while on? Does it make any difference when you change from hard to soft modes?

I tried all the modes and they are the same, it doesn’t seem like the fan and it is very noisy. It’s not fighting the couch, I tried putting it upright and holding it, also it makes the same noise while rolling back and forth. What I can’t explain is the power consumption while it’s leaning against the wall. 

If Scottie says it’s normal and he has it too I guess that’s it, but I bought an mten3 this summer and I don’t recall it having this problem. 

Are there any other Mten3 owners that can chime in? Maybe it’s only with the new models. Anyways as long as it’s not defective and isn’t going to be a safety issue then it’s fine but I wanted to be sure before using it and missing my return window.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Eucnewbie said:

I tried all the modes and they are the same, it doesn’t seem like the fan and it is very noisy. It’s not fighting the couch, I tried putting it upright and holding it, also it makes the same noise while rolling back and forth. What I can’t explain is the power consumption while it’s leaning against the wall. 

If Scottie says it’s normal and he has it too I guess that’s it, but I bought an mten3 this summer and I don’t recall it having this problem. 

Are there any other Mten3 owners that can chime in? Maybe it’s only with the new models. Anyways as long as it’s not defective and isn’t going to be a safety issue then it’s fine but I wanted to be sure before using it and missing my return window.  

Can you hear it while standing on it? My mten is so quiet, that noise would drive me nuts on nature crawls. Now you got me wondering. Mine mad a tiny bit of noise once, but it was more like a rattle in the pedals, from the minute adjustments to stay upright. Tbh, I didnt recall mine had a fan, until you reminded me. If @Scottie says his does same and works, I'd just ride it. Still, anyone else have this noise going on? I'll need another mten once I kill this one, and I'd like to know. 

Fwiw, you're gna love the mten, they are awesomesauce!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Can you hear it while standing on it? My mten is so quiet, that noise would drive me nuts on nature crawls. Now you got me wondering. Mine mad a tiny bit of noise once, but it was more like a rattle in the pedals, from the minute adjustments to stay upright. Tbh, I didnt recall mine had a fan, until you reminded me. If @Scottie says his does same and works, I'd just ride it. Still, anyone else have this noise going on? I'll need another mten once I kill this one, and I'd like to know. 

Fwiw, you're gna love the mten, they are awesomesauce!

I haven't used it out of the house to keep it clean if I have to return it, I can definitely hear the pulsing noise while riding around in the apartment.

It sure sounds like a fan... in “fan on full blast, drat that’s too much turn turn it off oh wait, it’s warm crank on the fan” mode. Either a poorly designed fan controller or a broken fan controller or something else not 100%. Maybe ride it a bit to get it warmed up and see if that makes it happier? My money is on “send it back for replacement” if it keeps doing that after it gets warmed up.

If that is as-designed operation, they need to have a control systems 101 chat with their EE. There’s no excuse for marginally damped control systems, unless you’re intending to make an oscillator.

Even if it stops when it gets warmer, and assuming it’s not meant to do that, there is something wrong. Wrong component value? Bad connection? Part about to fail? I suspect they want the fan on just a little bit but instead it’s going full tilt. Everything cools quickly and they shut the fan off. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

Normally & usually, my Mten3 run quiet when 1st turned on. Occasionally it runs loud (I'm assuming its the fan) under similar temp conditions when turned on. It is slightly weird to me but I've not bothered to look further as performance seems similar either way. 

• Like 1

Ok so it's probably the fan, I didn't think it could use all that power, on the EUCworld app it's using up to 130w for the fan which seems a bit excessive. Here is what the Aliexpress vendor answered me:

Hello, the wheel is powered on, and the sound you hear is the operation of the fan. The app test you use does not test the wheel, except for the voltage display. The most important thing is that the wheel you have now is the latest model. The fan power of the old model is not as big as the current one. The voltage of the old model is 5v, and the new model uses 12v.

I don't know at this point if trying to insist on returning it or not. I'm just afraid that something is about to fail and would like to be sure before using the wheel. 

further reply from the seller:

Now your motherboard has not reached the temperature that the fan keeps running. At present, you see that the temperature of your motherboard is around 23 degrees, and the temperature of the fan is 35 degrees. The intermittent operation is currently a motherboard program, so you can use this wheel with confidence.

• Like 3

Sounds to me that the cycling is by design. At least, thats what they are claiming. I could see this being plausible, but as Tawpie mentioned, poor choice of programming. Have you tried to get an answer from Gotway directly? Its a fairly simple and direct question. If it IS indeed how they intended it to work, then I see no issue. Aside from the constant noise, even the style of cycling may not be a problem. Supposedly, it will become just an 'ON' state once it gets warm. Since they increased the voltage, perhaps they also made a more powerful/louder cheapo fan and just chose a shitty method of idle. Let us know what you find out for sure, as Im a little saddened to hear that this is the 'newer' way its done. If it is by design, I'd just try learn to get over it and enjoy the wheel, not sure its a valid reason for warranty return. Ive never noticed my fan, but i guess mines the 5v fan on the 67v version. I wouldnt trust power consuption readings from eucw for this. Not to mention, the wheel is still using power to level itself and power the lights. You will probably see the power useage drop if you lay it on its side of hold the lift button down. Eucw is great, but its limited by the specs of the data reported by your wheel.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I'm at work, later I will try to put it on the side with the lift button down and try to check the power consumption. I sent an email to the first support address on the Begode website, I'll let you know what they answer, thanks :)

12 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

If it is by design, I'd just try learn to get over it and enjoy the wheel, not sure its a valid reason for warranty return.

I am almost certain it is by design. The pulsing rhythm has a perfect tempo and the fan sounds like a quality one. I firmly believe they just developed an odd way to control the fan. I found it a bit strange at 1st, but it has been wheeling my heavy carcass around just fine.

I also agree with your two vendor quotes. I am sure there are other owners of the newer 84V Mten3 that can add credence to this. Where are you?  :efee8319ab:

If you decide to hang on to it paint it black and put a little cape on it. Tell people it's Darth mTen, Vader's mini-me. But by all means get out and RIDE it! If it is indeed duff it'll seize up, throw you on your safety gear and then you can return it. Darn thing does nobody any good sitting there gasping on the couch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

If you decide to hang on to it paint it black and put a little cape on it. Tell people it's Darth mTen, Vader's mini-me. But by all means get out and RIDE it! If it is indeed duff it'll seize up, throw you on your safety gear and then you can return it. Darn thing does nobody any good sitting there gasping on the couch.

Darth mTen sounds good 😁 I have my first free weekend from work in a while so I’ll take it out for a spin. 

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

Tell people it's Darth mTen, Vader's mini-me. But by all means get out and RIDE it! ..... Darn thing does nobody any good sitting there gasping on the couch.

:roflmao:   And yes, go for a ride!

1 hour ago, Eucnewbie said:

so I’ll take it out for a spin

Oh good! You are going for a ride! :) Enjoy. :efefd0f676:

• 4 weeks later...

By the way, for anyone following this post, I also managed to get an official answer from Gotway after a very long email thread, they also confirmed after checking with the engineers that the fan pulses under 40 C and works continuously above that temperature. Good to know. I've used it in the meanwhile and its just as zippy as I remembered :)

• Like 1