MSP weird lights behaviour

Hi everybody,

today I powered on my MSP and noticed a weird lights behaviour. It was not possible to switch on the front light, all the leds were off exception made for 3 of the 5 on the back, blinking.

A couple of short videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbcjg0q13Sg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZgaelgH_s

Tried switching it off and on a few times but it was always the same. After a few tries I decided to go out anyway and test it. It took something like 50 meters and then the front light started blinking. From that point on, the wheel behaves as expected.

Any clue what that is?

Cheers

• Like 1

I had this issue a couple of times after riding in damp weather, iv since found out the front leds can be supsectable to water ingress and since all the lights and leds are connected to the same circuit it can cause issues, iv now covered the front leds with reflective tape and never had a issue since

Edited by Dave Wood
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Wood said:

I had this issue a couple of times after riding in damp weather, iv since found out the front leds can be supsectable to water ingress and since all the lights and leds are connected to the same circuit it can cause issues, iv now covered the front leds with reflective tape and never had a issue since

Did you get the same 3-blinking-leds thing?

I doubt it's connected to water, I used the wheel the day before and it did not rain, it was ok. I came back home and it was working, left it overnight and switched it back on in the afternoon. Thanks for the advice tho, I may think about isolating the front light better.

20 hours ago, stozza said:

Did you get the same 3-blinking-leds thing?

I doubt it's connected to water, I used the wheel the day before and it did not rain, it was ok. I came back home and it was working, left it overnight and switched it back on in the afternoon. Thanks for the advice tho, I may think about isolating the front light better.

yeah exactly same thing you described that's why i commented, Doesn't necessarily have to be rain its winter and cold there's moisture in the air. happened 2 or 3 times times to me before i read about front leds been susceptible to the elements , i use mine as my transport to work everyday rain or shine as iv said covering the front leds has fixed the issue for me also the headlights have them holes underneath which can let in moisture and dust off the road ect.

Edited by Dave Wood
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave Wood said:

yeah exactly same thing you described that's why i commented, Doesn't necessarily have to be rain its winter and cold there's moisture in the air. happened 2 or 3 times times to me before i read about front leds been susceptible to the elements , i use mine as my transport to work everyday rain or shine as iv said covering the front leds has fixed the issue for me also the headlights have them holes underneath which can let in moisture and dust off the road ect.

Thanks a lot. I guess I’ll have to find a way to better seal the lights...

On 12/27/2020 at 1:34 PM, stozza said:

Hi everybody,

today I powered on my MSP and noticed a weird lights behaviour. It was not possible to switch on the front light, all the leds were off exception made for 3 of the 5 on the back, blinking.

A couple of short videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbcjg0q13Sg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZgaelgH_s

Tried switching it off and on a few times but it was always the same. After a few tries I decided to go out anyway and test it. It took something like 50 meters and then the front light started blinking. From that point on, the wheel behaves as expected.

Any clue what that is?

Cheers

I had this same issue last night on my RS. All the lights were not working except for the 3 blinking blue dots in the back. I also tried restarting the wheel a few times and messing with the light settings, but no luck. About 15 seconds after I started riding anyway the lights came on. Would love to know what's up with that if anyone can chime in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the same issue with my MSP today, turned off the lights when I went into the store, when I came back out they wouldn't turn on, leds wasn't working and 3 blinking leds in the back, rode carefully and after a couple of hundred meters the lights came on. Been riding a lot in snow.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:59 PM, Dave Wood said:

Could you share a picture how you covered them?

10 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Ah thanks, I',m thinking the vents below the lights might be the culprit.

Iv always covered the vents in rain and I still had the problem,  I'm fairly sure it's the leds aswell although you definitely should cover the vents too in bad weather, 

Gotta remember your sometimes driving against  the element's at considerable speed so the front of the machine is particularly vulnerable especially this time of year 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Crazycarl said:

This just happened to my new rs19. Same thing as the original videos. It's a day old no rain 13 miles. Lights won't respond to anything. Or after riding. Any idea what to check?

it's a random bug, let it free spin and should be fine, it will auto-resolve in any case 

• Like 1