"Why hoverboards keep exploding" Wired article

BecauseFun

1 hour ago, lizardmech said:

Aerospace industry recommends housing them in stainless steel or aluminium casing. it just needs a venting mechanism.

Seems a bit stupid to be. What stops it from becoming a crude version of a pipe bomb?

1 hour ago, Gimlet said:

Seems a bit stupid to be. What stops it from becoming a crude version of a pipe bomb?

Li-ions don't burn fast enough to explode properly in an unsealed container. The gasses escape through the vent before enough pressure to rupture the housing.

There seems to be 3 aspects to containing li-ion failures.

1. Preventing the 600c degree flame from escaping or starting fires.

2. Prevent any shrapnel from an exploding cell exiting.

3. A venting hole that has a long enough path that flames cannot escape but hot gasses do.

On 12/14/2015 at 7:33 AM, Gimlet said:

I'd just like to point out that although it is very important to protect the cells from damage the idea of a fire proof housing is not at all sensible. If you try to contain a self propagating fire inside any kind of container you end up producing a bomb.

You definitely don't want the container to be completely sealed, but there are bags you can use that can contain any flame or shrapnel in case of an accident and also provide padding for the battery during transportation. I think the RC model world uses them a lot. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?field-keywords=lipo+safety+bag

37 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

You definitely don't want the container to be completely sealed, but there are bags you can use that can contain any flame or shrapnel in case of an accident and also provide padding for the battery during transportation. I think the RC model world uses them a lot. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?field-keywords=lipo+safety+bag

I think these are mostly ceramic wool or fabric. You could likely just wrap EUC and hoverboard batteries in it. The only issue is if the heat insulation will be an issue.

Archived