S18 Batch 2

Stillhart

So eWheels finally has the 2nd batch of S18 ready to ship.  We all know that KS has attempted to address a lot of the issues from the first batch.  I'm curious if they have done so successfully.

Anyone here got one coming?  Let us know how it is!

• Like 2

I got my new S18 on Friday. I am very pleased with the wheel with one exception. It leans heavily into my left calf. I've tried different foot and leg positions but it simply leans hard into my left calf.  The pedals are the same height. I have emailed eWheels and they have given me a couple of ideas that haven't worked. I will try calibrating to see if that might possibly help. I rode over 4,000 miles on my 18XL. I thought maybe I just needed to put a few more miles on it to get more comfortable. The ride is similar to the 18XL but the pushing into my calf is a no go. Hopefully, I'll get it resolved this week. As to the wheel, I've had fun trying to hit potholes instead of avoiding them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grandpa 1947 said:

I got my new S18 on Friday. I am very pleased with the wheel with one exception. It leans heavily into my left calf. I've tried different foot and leg positions but it simply leans hard into my left calf.  The pedals are the same height. I have emailed eWheels and they have given me a couple of ideas that haven't worked. I will try calibrating to see if that might possibly help. I rode over 4,000 miles on my 18XL. I thought maybe I just needed to put a few more miles on it to get more comfortable. The ride is similar to the 18XL but the pushing into my calf is a no go. Hopefully, I'll get it resolved this week. As to the wheel, I've had fun trying to hit potholes instead of avoiding them. 

I once tested a new tire on my 18XL and it behaved like you described. The tire was faulty. Its center line was clearly not at the center of the tire. The difference was just a couple of millimeters but the effect was noticeable. Try checking how your tire looks. It could also be just sitting badly on the rim. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Grandpa 1947 said:

Thanks!  Sounds like the suspension is working for you.  Could you possibly post a picture of the wheel from the side?  I'm curious if they're still using that big washer that supposedly binds the suspension.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:21 AM, Stillhart said:

Thanks!  Sounds like the suspension is working for you.  Could you possibly post a picture of the wheel from the side?  I'm curious if they're still using that big washer that supposedly binds the suspension.

Got mine Friday, finally unboxed and rode it yesterday! 

The big washer is there, but I'm guessing there's a stack of washers or a spacer behind it, because my suspension seems to be moving quite freely. 

With the shock depressurized but still attached, I can move the wheel through its travel with one hand. The only thing that seems to be catching is that stupid nub on the fender.

Had a bit of an issue with the unlock, EUC world wasn't working for some reason, but the Kingsong App did. Holy invasive though, "Yes Kingsong, here's access to EVERYTHING on my phone, enjoy!". Unlock and uninstall...

Did enough miles to unlock the speed limiter and all felt pretty awesome, so far so good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jammen said:

Got mine Friday, finally unboxed and rode it yesterday! 

The big washer is there, but I'm guessing there's a stack of washers or a spacer behind it, because my suspension seems to be moving quite freely. 

With the shock depressurized but still attached, I can move the wheel through its travel with one hand. The only thing that seems to be catching is that stupid nub on the fender.

Had a bit of an issue with the unlock, EUC world wasn't working for some reason, but the Kingsong App did. Holy invasive though, "Yes Kingsong, here's access to EVERYTHING on my phone, enjoy!". Unlock and uninstall...

Did enough miles to unlock the speed limiter and all felt pretty awesome, so far so good.

Awesome that's great to hear!  Thanks for letting us know. 

We have a small sample size for now, but I really hope they've fixed the issues they were having, as it seems they have.

My S18 came in yesterday and while this is my first wheel, I'd been thinking about getting an EUC for years and have been monitoring their development and progress (and lurking in this forum) until I felt the time was right to make the commitment to finally get one. The development of suspension was the catalyst for me as my intended use is to mostly joy ride on trails and off-road adventures - I was a 70cc dirt bike kid and never cared much for street riding and super high speeds. The S18 seemed to be designed to be the wheel for my desired style of euc riding especially after watching youtubers like Chooch tear up trails on it (and his comparisons to the V11 for those type of rides). I was a bit concerned by many of the prototype and first batch issues that came to light and felt that King Song likely rushed out the first batch (to compete with V11?), but having followed King Song's history, I felt that they would get it right eventually. I waited until they made this 2nd batch (I read their statement about batch 2 fixes) and took a chance that this batch would have it's build quality better live up to it's quality of engineering.

So far, I'm impressed. The body (and mudflaps) seem solid, the wheel is well aligned from what I can tell, the suspension assembly seems to be smooth and fluid - the fender nub only seems to almost touch the shock canister when there is no weight on the wheel (with my shocks pressurized) and it doesn't interfere with the motion as far I can tell. That nub seems to be intentional and purposefully designed but I'm not sure what it is supposed to do (keep the fender away from the shock on curb drops perhaps?). Trolley seems pretty solid also though I'm still puzzled by how it behaves in the first (carrying) position. It ordinarily does not balance in this position so it can be safely lifted but as I was learning to ride, I managed to get it to self balance but I'm not sure how to do it on purpose. As a newb, I haven't had a chance to run it through any rigors (still learning how to steer and brake/dismount on day 1!) but so far I'm super happy with my batch 2 S18!   

• Like 2