New V11 (Nov 2020) - Severe tiltback and warning when braking at >90% battery

rwent1

We noticed a problem with our brand new V11. When the battery is charged at greater than 90%, we're getting severe tiltback and a verbal warning whenever we moderately brake. The tiltback is so severe that you have to dismount. Once the battery is discharged below 90%, then there's no problem with braking.

Has anyone else experienced this and is this normal?

Thanks!

Edited by rwent1

Sounds like an overzealous overcharge warning.

Be careful. Obviously the wheel shouldn't complain if you merely brake at full battery.

So this might be a bad board (somehow?) or a bad battery (bad cell? full at below 100% voltage?). Does the battery charge to 100% (~84V)?

I would be hesitant to ride this wheel until this has been cleared. Because something is wrong. Better safe than sorry. Contact your seller!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sounds like an overzealous overcharge warning.

Be careful. Obviously the wheel shouldn't complain if you merely brake at full battery.

So this might be a bad board (somehow?) or a bad battery (bad cell? full at below 100% voltage?). Does the battery charge to 100% (~84V)?

I would be hesitant to ride this wheel until this has been cleared. Because something is wrong. Better safe than sorry. Contact your seller!

It charges to 98% (which may be within the margin of error). I'll ping eWheels to see what they say. Thanks, Meep!

36 minutes ago, rwent1 said:

It charges to 98% (which may be within the margin of error).

What voltage is that?

That makes it sound better, because with a bad cell the battery would max out at like ~80V (less than 98%!). I'd still not ride (discharge) or charge the wheel, just to be sure.

Curious how ewheels will explain this. Random crazy board seems like the best explanation.

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What voltage is that?

That makes it sound better, because with a bad cell the battery would max out at like ~80V (less than 98%!). I'd still not ride (discharge) or charge the wheel, just to be sure.

Curious how ewheels will explain this. Random crazy board seems like the best explanation.

I'm kinda thinking the same thing. We put 10+ miles on it yesterday with no problems at all once we got it below 90%. I could still break while the battery was still over 90%, but just had to break slowly.

I'm thinking it's just an overly sensitive voltage safety threshold setting -- maybe even a simple adjustment that could be made on the motherboard(?).

I emailed support@ewheels.com a little while ago so we'll see what they say.

• rwent1 changed the title to New V11 (Nov 2020) - Severe tiltback and warning when braking at >90% battery