KS 14C 800W 840W/hr range check

h00ktern

No reviewing, just a full on range check, to compare with my Gotway MSuper2 HS 850W/hr range check. Short answer, "It can hang!" :).

The route consisted of about 19 miles of levy road (hard pack gravel with some loose stones, riding in the lightly sandy, worn bicycle tracks. An additional 11 or so miles of sidewalk and street riding.

The first estimated five miles were reasonable cruising speeds (15-20kph) in a new to me county park. Right when I got back to the car, Mr. Maintenance Dude rolled up in his golf cart (which my tax dollars paid for) and advised me that "motorized vehicles" were not allowed in the park (which my tax dollars paid for ;))

"Oh, like no electrics bikes either? Or like the squadron of gas ATV quads that I saw parked over there?" He said, "yes, but the quads were part of a park event."

Nevermind the mud-pits splattered all around the park, or the new dirt trails cut all over the grassed hills (which my taxes paid for, and will repair, lol)

"Uhh huh... and I guess the cars all over the place are exempt too, right? Nevermind. Don't worry. I'm leaving now anyway and don't plan on coming back." He didn't really have a reply, and knew I had a point, and said, "But it is really cool!"

Government. Gotta' love illogical and indefensible rules...

Anyway, on to Markham Park, which to date, has been very accepting of my new toy. Up and onto the Conservation Levy, and 9+ miles north, a picture, and 9+ miles back. The bicycle people love it, and always crack a smile as I pass with folded arms, lol

I ran the levy at level 1 beep (28 kph) and backed off just to silent, peaceful, clean energy mode cruising (which aforementioned park obviously does not appreciate or condone.) I was still at 3/4 lights when I turned around to head south. Since no one was around to bother with beeps, I layed on it to Level 3 and stayed just short of tilt-back (30kph.) At the end of the nine mile run back, 82℉ ambient, I had no hiccups, and certainly no "over heating problems" mentioned in some older KS post(s).

With the four lights remaining, I ran around the paved roads within the park, maybe another five miles, before coming in (not interested in bottoming the battery into limp-home mode.) I think I was getting to the point where speed needed to be decreased to avoid beeps, but it wasn't significant (2 bars.) Even on the low SOC (state of charge) I felt confident testing tilt-back, and had no issues.

So, surprising to me, the 18" and 14" can actually go out together, and without worrying, will make it back together on a single charge. Very Cool!

Nice job eWheels ;)

IMAG0726.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your math is correct. It was probably 30-32 miles, and 2/10 bars remaining. Unfortunately, my android phone is old and won't install the apk - I had to use my sister's iOS phone & app to set up the KS (which is better than nothing,) and I don't have a way to monitor it while riding, other than using the beeps - no odometer.

I know the Markham Park mileage from my MSuper (older apk runs on my old android.) Now that I know the KS has roughly the same endurance, I'm going to take my nephew out this weekend, and we'll have apk & app data to be more precise (he's a speed demon also, so we'll probably run them as fast as the KS can remain relatively stable (14"/18" on hard-pack, worn gravel.) It's about twenty feet down the slope on each side to marsh level, lol

Nice.. I am 222 or so...and usually carry a small back pack with a few more lbs...i cant get anywhere close to 30 miles...my max in ideal conditions is 24, but this kind of makes sense as it is proportional to our weights.  180/225=0.8.  24/30=0.75.  Dont know how you are getting 32 and more on a sandy and gravel road though:)

20 miles on the levy, plus pavement time, equals the 30+ figure.

I can stretch the levy run, (exchanging pavement time) but I also don't feel like walking back, carrying a dead EU. There's no way to get off of it, other than the two end points of my route, lol

Would be great if some day you could test in ideal conditions. Its beyond me how you are achieving this mileage. Ive ridden several kingsong wheels and couldnt get close to it even factoring in the weight difference proportionally. Did you use any app to tel, the distance or how did you get the distance?

The only explanation i can come up with is that the distance is not proportional to the weight and a 20% increase in weight yields more than 20% reduction in distance

Yes, I got the mileage from my car, to the levy and back, both on Google maps and the apk on my MSuper2. I rode the same car, levy, turnaround point, return trip without the KS apk.

I'm heading out later today with my nephew, so we'll have info from both - MSuper2 HS with android app, and KS14C with iOS app.

Btw, a little tidbit - We connected to the KS with his iOS phone. It connected locked, I entered the unlock code, it put it in Advanced user, and upon checking, my earlier settings were still saved (firm mode, 28, 29, 30, 30 TB settings.)

Archived