Help new owner of the V8 inmotion. New to unicycle community

Nana_Brian

I purchased a V8 inmotion unicycle a week ago. I was so excited to get started on it. Unfortunately, I have not been able to use it very much. It seems the tube does not hold the air in it for very long. It deflates shortly after I have put in pressure to about 45 psi using both a compressor as well a bicycle pump. Could the tube be defective? I was very motivated to learn this new skill but this has been very frustrating since I cannot see people having this issue with a brand new unicycle. I appreciate all your input. 

did u consult the seller?

could be tube or valve stem. u can test stem with soapy water - if bubbles try tighten stem core. if still bubbles replace core. all that can be done with tire on rim. if not stem u hv to pull tube find leak and patch - search v8 tire change for vids...

mt be possible to spooge tire and patch tube without removing shell but tricky working around shell. others may hv better ideas. 

Edited by amelanso

Yes and many users of this forum do use slime or equivalent with great success.  My personal experience with slime hasn't been so great and I now just use air.  Specifically the two problems I've had are:

1. A leak in the valve wasn't sealed by slime and I ended up with horrible goop in the valve that got everywhere and was a PITA to clear up.
  2. When I eventually came to change the tyre of a wheel that I had previously slimed I the slime got in the way and made it many times harder to change the tyre.

Thank you Stuart. Quick follow up question. How do you tighten the valve stem? Is it easy to do. I have carefully examined the tire and did not see any obvious puncture on the tire. I am beginning to think the valve stem may have been loose when it was shipped out to me. Thanks for your help.

7 minutes ago, Nana_Brian said:

How do you tighten the valve stem?

With the right tool it's trival.  The valve stem is a removable part within the Schrader valve body.  It's a screw-in component.

I found this UK eBay auction showing you both the tool and the valve core: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VALVE-KEY-WHEEL-TYRE-INNER-TUBE-VALVE-REMOVER-REMOVAL-TOOL-NEW-TWO-FREE-CORES-/221765866273

You can pick up the tool easily online or at a motor parts supplier.  For a single use I would recommend trying your local car tyre fitter and ask them nicely if they can remove, grease and reseat the valve core or let you borrow their tool to do the same.  If you find the right tyre fitter and ask correctly I suspect that they'll help you without charging you.

• Like 1

Its probably just a faulty tube, luckily the v8 is one of the easiest wheels to remove the wheel and change the tire on.  just try to re-seat  a new tube in the wheel, and give it a go. Ive found too that if you  take just the motor/wheel into a local bike shop they will install a new tube and make sure the tire bead is properly seated to the rim.  I goofed up when trying a different tire and accidentally twisted my tube when I put it back in and it quickly went flat on me when i was in Colorado. luckily I was able to walk it to a local bike shop. they let me use there tools to take the motor out, and then they put in a new tube and properly seated the tire. 1.4k miles and going no issues since!

4 minutes ago, Nana_Brian said:

I walked it to my local bike shop here and they had no idea what they were looking at lol.

Yeah, you'll need to remove the wheel (hub motor + rim + tyre) from the rest of the EUC for them to be able to make sense of what they're looking at.

• Like 1