Ninebot One Wheel not centred

Thumper0511

Hello fellow nine-botters.... I have noticed that my wheel does not sit central to the both sides of the shell (see picture) closer to left side shell than right by about  3mm.  I noticed this a little while ago and, as I don't have anyone else around me with a Ninebot One I have nothing to compare it to.  Can someone please check their wheel and see if this is the same for them.  I have taken it apart (entirely) and put back together but I can't seem to see what could be causing it.... I have noticed that the wheel feels ever so slightly unbalanced to the left when I ride and now my paranoia has kicked in and I think it could be due to this.  I noticed it a few weeks ago but didn't think too much about it but now I am wandering about the slight balance thing I thought I'd ask.  I have taken my wheel apart several time for cleaning, resprays etc and am always meticulous about doing it very carefully.  I have done almost 600miles on it so far.

Any one else have this??

IMG_0442.JPG

Hey thanks DD - is it the camera angle but your's also look like it's more to the right side (assuming this is the front of your wheel)??  It's only a small amout but noticable on mine

Gonna take mine apart again tonight to take another look.  It's strange though as I cannot see what it could be... as the shells connect to the same places on each side (top section with Handle and 4 screws just over wheel engine bracket (behind the rubber ankle pad).  Ho Hum - thanks again for checking - will strip down and take another look ....

TBH it could do with a good clean as lots of mud, leaves and general shrubbery inside my wheel anyway ;-)

Difficult to get a good angle, but it's from the rear - it's leaning on the front while the charging completes ;) I think it looks pretty good - hard to judge properly with the shadows etc.?

Never had one apart to that level - only ever removed the outer shells for the Vinyl Wrapping so don't know - I do remember seeing a video from SpeedyFeet showing the addition of a washer to stop a 'rubbing' occurring but can't find the exact video which referenced it now.

Thumper, Here are a few snaps of my 9B1 E+.  It looks like a bit of a gap on the right side. 

I haven't noticed any ride issues.  If I recall there was a YouTube video by speedyfeet on how to fix rubbing on one side.  It was a pretty complicated fix but you might want to take a look at it.  I got my wheel about 10 days ago, so I don't think the gap difference is a user error issue. 

BTW: I tried to be as centered as possible, this is a pic from the front of the Bot - of course, wheel tilted up.  (sorry they are sideways, can't figure how to rotate the image)

Cheers,

Jim

IMG_1530.JPG.1b091ecca42a05b0524ecfc9933IMG_1529.JPG.34682e4ffc2bab4c28dd894cc3a

Hi Jim,  Many thanks for sending through the photo's - this is the same as how mine looks which seems to be the norm I guess if yours is just 10 days old.  Many thanks as, based on this, I'll hold off on taking the wheel apart for the 5th time!  Also thanks for the ref re Ian's video around the rubbing noise.  I had seen this when it went up but actually this is not a problem as I am not getting a rubbing noise.  Actually it was a little while ago and found that, as the shells are so close to the motor hub in the wheel - if you strip the NB1 all the way down (see image below from a previous strip down) then you can sometimes get rubbing on the inner shell based on how you put it all back together.  So just for information, if you do strip down your NB1, when you put it back together put two opposing (diagonal) corner screws into section behind the ankle pads then a couple of screws at the top of the shell. This solved my NB1 shell from creaking and the wheel from scraping as it seemed to make sure it all went back together true and not (ever so slightly) crooked.  This was not related to the hub washer symptom mentioned by Ian at SpeedyFeet (and I don't ride on one foot either).  Just thought this may help you if you decide to strip it down for respray etc.

Thanks again Mat

NB1 teardown.JPG

Oh - btw - slightly off topic - what PSI do you guys run at.  I started at 55 but now feel better between 45 and 50....

Thumper, glad the pics helped. 

To be honest, I think it will be awhile before I attempt the same dissection, but it is interesting to see all the bits laid out.

BTW: I ride at about 50 psi.  I had it at a lower psi - around 40-ish, but felt it was too squishy. 

Cheers,

Jim

I just had a thought..... (whilst looking at all the parts above).... I wonder if the reason the battery side shell is slightly further from the wheel is to ensure that the valve is accessible and/or does not run the risk of catching.... the valve is always on the battery side as it feeds through the hub and the other side of the wheel/motors has the main cable coming out which feeds into the main board (on the opposite side to the battery).  So the valve therefore is always on the right side.  I would hazard a guess that everyone has slightly more space on the right side between the wheel and the shell.

Interesting you mention "not centered". So for me, my wheel seems centered but when I'm riding it would go straight for a while, and sometimes it feels are if the wheel goes left. But in a slightly forceful type of way which is pretty scary. I could be on a flat surface and can wait for it to happen, or I could go in between the cracks of city street tiles in order to reproduce it. If I ride in between the lines that connects the tiles on the sidewalk, the bot seems to try to go left. I don't think that is normal, but I can understand if the sensor is trying to stabilize itself because it feels an uneven surface (since it's in the cracks). The bot is about to hit 4 months and has about 510 miles. It rides well still but this "left moving" feeling is worrysome. Like I said before, i literally feels like if someone is pulling the bottom of my tire and trying to yank it to the left.

My PSI is 45-50.

fT76QN8h.jpg

Hi Fearedbliss - I get that too - for me it's if I either go into the cracks on a pavement or a narrow depression in the tarmac.  It seems to force the wheel into a rut and then it feels like its on rails where it will follow the crack or contour of the crevice (i'll call this a 'rail effect' for easier reference). This can be scary however I try and avoid these if they extend in my direction of travel.  The worst of this is on walking/cycle paths where the cycle side of the path has the occasional paving stone with long elevated ridges in it (facing the direction I am running) as the Ninebot wheel will slot into these and it really is disconcerting.... note that the walking side ridges are perpendicular so I go over these instead.

If this is happening on a flat surface, then check whether it is always the same place during your journey(s) as there may be a small narrow dip which traps the wheel .... there are several on my route to work and I know where they all are now :-)   Also I have found that the higher my PSI the more my wheel will be affected by pavement camber and this type of 'rail effect'.

Yea I noticed this on my usual commutes between my house and my parent's house. I know the road pretty well since I've been riding it for a few months. There doesn't seem to be anything that would exacerbate this issue. I also don't think this was also happening but I've become more aware of it during the last week. But yea, I've been avoiding these linear slots on the sidewalk or road hah..

Here is a comparison between each side of my wheel with a ruler.  6mm difference.... when measured from the wheel hub edge to the outside edge of the shell,  This is from the base of the unit (turned upside down) just like Fearedbliss's picture

Left Side.jpg

Right Side.jpg

oh btw - if your wondering why this bothers me so much then ;-) .......

Amusing.JPG

So I took my Ninebot apart (again) and it seems that the actual metal arms which attach to each side of the wheel are slightly bend/miss aligned.  It must have been caused by a crash in the early days but the left side arm move closer to the wheel and the right further away - I have added couple of picks of each side with a ruler to show.  So my only question now is whether this is a problem or if I just ignore it.... Ride still seems ok....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A couple of thoughts....

Is the difference the same across the whole rotation of the wheel? That is the gap is exactly the same on both sides through the whole rotation?. 

Do you feel any wiggle in the bearings, If there is wobble or wiggle in the wheel, is it at the bearings, or does it look like any part of the hub is deformed?

if the wheel is tight, there is no wobble in the bearings, and there appears to be no deformation on the hub - in other words it all looks and feels fine, I would think This is a factory setup.   

One last thought, if you look at SpeedyFeet's video on the rubbing on one side, doesn't he use the washer on the same side as you are showing more shallow?  I'd check that video again, it could be a factory setup. 

just my $.02 (and I have been under the weather this weekend so take it for what it is worth)

Cheers,

Jim

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your advice.  I looked at whether the things stayed consistent through a full rotation and they do.  There is no wobble either so ok to ride.  I have come off quite hard in the past and a lot of the impact is absorbed by this protruding piece (from the foot pedal).  I had seen the video from Ian but will look again thanks ?

It  just surprised me that the spacing are not equal on both sides on a device like this especially where balance is so important.

I've dropped Ian at Speedyfeet a note too to see if he's seen this or if it's not unusual.

Thanks again for your advice - I'll post the conclusions....

Mat

Hey Jim,

So I spoke to Ian.  I stripped down my NB1 again last night to take a proper look at the wheel and the leg support brackets which attach to the axel.  Basically the space between the leg support bracket and the wheel (on the right side) get closer to the wheel hub towards the bottom of the bracket farthest from the point where it connects to the axel.  The opposite is the case on the left side of the wheel (it is further away at the bottom of the bracket).  Ian said I could be a bent bracket or bent axel.... I'm not sure but it seems logical that it's not the former (on both sides in the opposite direction)!  It seems more logical that if the axel is out then the effect will be opposite on both sides as I have...

Anyway not really any closer to a resolution but I do now know why the wheel is off centre.... I'm just gonna keep riding and see what happens.  Worst case is axel is bent and I need to replace the motor.  Next worst is I need to replace or adjust the leg brackets somehow... difficult to do on side of wheel with cable due the the socket wrench issue ...or... It just keeps running.... I'll give it some time and see I think...

see updated photos below of wheel and leg brackets left and right .... See ruler for difference....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mat:

If you really had a bent axel, I would think there would be a wobble (or off center riding ware) of your tire pattern?  There would be loose bearings in the hub as well!

The only way I can think of identifying this would be to level the wheel so both ends are up and off the ground the same distance, and then check where the tire "hits the road" with a carpenter's square.   If the tire is off-kilter, I would think the mark where the rubber hits the road would be off a bit as well.  You can also check the trueness of the bracket with the carpenters square (the bracket looks like it is 90-degrees).  If the bracket is bent, the carpenter's square edge would show the bend - as long as you have a good square, square.  You can also do this with a T-square (as long as it is not bent or warped).  

I can hardly believe you would have bent the axel from a crash!  And if you did, I think you would remember it, or come to think of it, you might not remember a crash like that...any "blackouts" in your recent past?  LOL 

Cheers,

Jim

On 11/23/2015, 6:20:07, Thumper0511 said:

Hello fellow nine-botters.... I have noticed that my wheel does not sit central to the both sides of the shell (see picture) closer to left side shell than right by about  3mm.  I noticed this a little while ago and, as I don't have anyone else around me with a Ninebot One I have nothing to compare it to.  Can someone please check their wheel and see if this is the same for them.  I have taken it apart (entirely) and put back together but I can't seem to see what could be causing it.... I have noticed that the wheel feels ever so slightly unbalanced to the left when I ride and now my paranoia has kicked in and I think it could be due to this.  I noticed it a few weeks ago but didn't think too much about it but now I am wandering about the slight balance thing I thought I'd ask.  I have taken my wheel apart several time for cleaning, resprays etc and am always meticulous about doing it very carefully.  I have done almost 600miles on it so far.

Any one else have this??

IMG_0442.JPG

I've had a similar issue. I never crashed the bot to have this happen but here's a speedy feet video that kinda explains it

Archived