KS18XL - having a slight issue w/ the sensor

So when I put the Kingsong 18XL back down on the ground after picking it up, it doesn't register that I put it down often. I have to pick it up and put it down a little bit harder than I normally would, just to get the "beep".

This is due to some sensor in the handlebar, correct? Does this sound like an easy fix? Kind of annoying.

• Like 1

The sensor is inside the bottom of the body aligned with the trolley handle, both sides. New firmware auto calibrates them. BEFORE opening the wheel, I'd just check to make sure the trolley seems to be functioning properly and completely collapsing. IF this doesnt help, try a firmware update. IF that doesnt work, youll need to open the wheel and check the sensors. Mine has the older bar style, I think the newer has a more digital sensor. Since fw 2.0 mine is a little sensitive but fine(KS18L).  It could be a sensor adjustment issue or a simple sensor fault requiring replace. Again, try the steps in order I presented them, you MAY get them fixed with nothing more than a few finger pushes on an android or ios device...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

depends.... how old is your 18XL? original version had a sensor that was finicky and while it could be calibrated in the app, still proved troublesome for a lot of people.... the new style which isnt really new any more lol, is a physical switch at the bottom of each side of the trolley handle, it can be adjusted manually (if you open the side of the wheel) and through the app... this style i have never had a problem with, if you will notice when you lift the wheel the trolley handle comes up a few mm before stopping, that is it hitting the switch and when it will deactivate the motor, if you have a handle that is a bit sticky, or perhaps the springs are not very tight, it will remain in this upright position when you put it back down and it wont know that you arent still lifting it, in that case you just push down on the handle and it will reactivate.... it takes less than a ms to push down on the handle after you set it down, but if it bothers you then its a very simple fix, take off the side panels, and tighten the screw that holds the trolley handle down at the bottom.. also ensure that the two thin metal straps bracing the trolley handle on either side are not too tight, this can also be a contributing factor in holding the trolley in the upright position and is indicated by any sort of scraping noise when you lift the wheel

20200326_173649.jpg

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think I recall seeing a button when I last opened it up. I think maybe it is the one with the switch - not sure.

I will play with it for a few minutes and see...

Looks like sometimes it has no problem detecting I put it down, other times it does. Really weird. I think I'll take it apart and see what's up.

Also.. I tried to find an option in the EUC World app to disable the light sensor from turning on my light. Is that possible? It's kind of annoying when going through dark areas when I really don't need it on.

Edit: Looks like firmware 2.02 is available.. I'm not sure what version mine is currently. I think I updated it not TOO long ago.

Edit 2: Looks like updating the firmware and going through calibration didn't help. I'll take it apart.

Edit 3: I tightened the screw on the right side - didn't seem to help. I guess I'll do the left side now. By the way - pushing down on the handle when it doesn't take effect doesn't help. I have to pick it up slightly and put it back down.

Edit 4: 8:13pm PST - ok, I opened up both sides, tightened both sides. Apparently I tightened the right side screw too much, and it wasn't registering I was picking it up nor would it allow the handle to go up fully. I had to re-open that side, loosen that screw a bit, and then it worked perfectly. Survived multiple tests.

I'm a bit worried I had to loosen that screw. I guess it will get loose yet again in the future.. inevitable, correct?

Thanks for the information.

Again.. any way to disable that sensor for the light?

Edited by TedTheAtheist
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TedTheAtheist said:

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think I recall seeing a button when I last opened it up. I think maybe it is the one with the switch - not sure.

I will play with it for a few minutes and see...

Looks like sometimes it has no problem detecting I put it down, other times it does. Really weird. I think I'll take it apart and see what's up.

Also.. I tried to find an option in the EUC World app to disable the light sensor from turning on my light. Is that possible? It's kind of annoying when going through dark areas when I really don't need it on.

Edit: Looks like firmware 2.02 is available.. I'm not sure what version mine is currently. I think I updated it not TOO long ago.

Edit 2: Looks like updating the firmware and going through calibration didn't help. I'll take it apart.

Edit 3: I tightened the screw on the right side - didn't seem to help. I guess I'll do the left side now. By the way - pushing down on the handle when it doesn't take effect doesn't help. I have to pick it up slightly and put it back down.

Edit 4: 8:13pm PST - ok, I opened up both sides, tightened both sides. Apparently I tightened the right side screw too much, and it wasn't registering I was picking it up nor would it allow the handle to go up fully. I had to re-open that side, loosen that screw a bit, and then it worked perfectly. Survived multiple tests.

I'm a bit worried I had to loosen that screw. I guess it will get loose yet again in the future.. inevitable, correct?

glad you got it solved... it really shouldnt loosen much if at all over time i dont think, i wouldnt worry about it as long as it works now it should continue to do so... and for some stupid reason the euc has no memory for the headlight setting, even though it does for every other setting imaginable, i hate it... i hate to press the power button 4 times now every single time i turn on the euc, baffling

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rywokast said:

glad you got it solved... it really shouldnt loosen much if at all over time i dont think, i wouldnt worry about it as long as it works now it should continue to do so... and for some stupid reason the euc has no memory for the headlight setting, even though it does for every other setting imaginable, i hate it... i hate to press the power button 4 times now every single time i turn on the euc, baffling

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE TO DO! OMG I thought I was just blind. I went through the settings.. I'm like, who the hell wants a light to turn on while going through a darker hallway.. what if you're at work? So stupid. Thanks for the help.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TedTheAtheist said:

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE TO DO! OMG I thought I was just blind. I went through the settings.. I'm like, who the hell wants a light to turn on while going through a darker hallway.. what if you're at work? So stupid. Thanks for the help.

yes, it is stupid and completely insane that like five years later they have still done nothing about it... of course you can turn off the light in the app, but it doesnt matter the next power cycle it will be back to auto... so stupid... pre 2.X i used to have to press the power button "only" two times after powering on... and now, with their wacky lighting options i have to do it four times....... who in the hell is having a headlight on the front and rear of the wheel, or just on the rear of the wheel??????? why is that an option!?!?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TedTheAtheist said:

I havent seen the new type in person. Is the light or medium weight threadlockers like 'loctite' not an option, should it loosen again?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rywokast said:

yes, it is stupid and completely insane that like five years later they have still done nothing about it... of course you can turn off the light in the app, but it doesnt matter the next power cycle it will be back to auto... so stupid... pre 2.X i used to have to press the power button "only" two times after powering on... and now, with their wacky lighting options i have to do it four times....... who in the hell is having a headlight on the front and rear of the wheel, or just on the rear of the wheel??????? why is that an option!?!?

I guess if you're from China, shit is reasoned differently? Shrug.

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I havent seen the new type in person. Is the light or medium weight threadlockers like 'loctite' not an option, should it loosen again?

I sure hope it doesn't.. but maybe it will overtime. I think using loctite thing is too much.

• Like 2

Just now, ShanesPlanet said:

its an option, though how effective it would be i cannot say since its actually just a self tapping screw wrapping itself around the thin metal bracket that goes through the trolley.. so its not actually going into any threading.... however the reason i think it wouldnt ever really loosen itself is because its under quite a bit of constant pressure from that strong spring thats always under tension

• Like 2

Gotcha, sounds like a job for hot glue or just ignore it as it may never come back again. DO NOT use loctite near plastic unless you are SURE its designed for it..... its my public duty to bring that up regularly. Glad you got it fixed, the KS18 trolley really is a marvelous thing when it works right.

• Like 1

Yea I love it.. a small itch makes me look at the Veteran, but I try not to cheat on my 18XL when it can see me on the computer.

I'll wait another year or two to see how things go with the faster ones.

Edited by TedTheAtheist
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Inoticed my 18L had many loose screws. I used red (non permanent) locktite and set my DeWalt drill to a very light torque. 

Just to make sure everyone sees this... DO NOT use thread locker compounds on parts in contact with plastics, unless they are specifically designed and it is stated on the label of the thread locker. As long as ZERO loc-tite touches plastic, youll be fine. Loctite can (and has) turned brand new white KS shells into broken bits of dust in mere moments...  I would NEVER use power tools to tighten screws on these euc's(clutch be damned). THe standoffs are weak and the screws are made of recycled paper clips. Be VERY careful.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

There was some red material on some screws, applied sloppily. I applied the locktite sparingly to the thread.  when I use a regular screwdriver, I usually go too tight.

7 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

There was some red material on some screws, applied sloppily. I applied the locktite sparingly to the thread.  when I use a regular screwdriver, I usually go too tight.

I was a die hard loc-tite user on everything until recently. Watching what loc-tite liquid does to these shells, scared me enough to not muck with it at all near plastic. I'd be feared ANY could get under the brass inserts or between the insert and standoff and that could be the end of that. Its not a given and i was quite shocked, after decades of loyal loc-tite use. Just be mindful is all, it caught me by complete surprise when I discussed it happening with a fellow forum member. Having said that, I know I still suggested it to the adjuster screw, but I wouldnt dare if it had a chance at coming in contact with plastic, and I'd wipe excess off immediately.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Buy a rollNZ cover and youll never need worry. You can also buy a roll of double sided tape and just use as needed. Not an expensive investment, can use it on other things as well. It aint like youre pulling on the pads or TRYING to take them off. When you ride, you're holding them on with your legs. The pads also have extrusions that fit the screw holes and helps.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TedTheAtheist said:

Question: Will I eventually need to put something on those pads to make sure they keep sticking to my wheel after I remove them so much to get inside my wheel?

how many times you plan on doing it O.o perhaps Velcro with adhesive backing if you are going to be doing it a lot?

• Like 1