Doubling the battery size

Simon Lovell

I have a cheap generic wheel made by Huwei with a 132w battery. Replacement battery,s can be bought in eBay for about £50. So how easy would it be to drop in a second battery to double the size? How would you connect them. Will the charger be able to cope?

And any other questions answered that I don't know enough about to ask!!IMG_20151031_170409.thumb.jpg.68ae5a3cfb

It is possible to have more than one battery pack. You just have to connect both the power cables and the charging cables in parallel. Charging isn't a problem, the current is split between the two packs. Just make sure that before you connect them in parallel, both packs are either fully charged or fully discharged. If this is not the case, a big balancing current might flow between them, which could lead to some damage.

With most generics the battery is one side and the control board on the other. This means there is normally plenty of room to put the second battery as long as you can find room for the control board. Both Gotway and KingSong put the control boards horizontally across the top when they have battery packs each side but you can't just take a vertical control board and mount it horizontally as the gyros won't work if they're 90 degrees out so the control board positioning is likely to be your biggest problem.

I have a generic of differing brand. There is not enough Space for an extra pack in the batterycompartment on my Wheel. Especially since some extra room is needed for padding around the pack(s).

That is possibly the obstacle to overcome on Your Wheel as well. Extending the compartment could be a solution but is the Wheel worth it or should You spend Money on a better Wheel instead? 

I took apart a top brand the other day and was a bit shocked on how the duel battery was wired. Each battery has a load side at full voltage and a charge side lead in this case at half voltage they had one battery half voltage side to the charge plug and it's full voltage side put to the half voltage side of the second battery and the full power side of the second battery to the control board. I didn't put it back that way as an experiment, I just wired both sides of each battery in parallel like I think it should be. 

I think I understand why it was done the way it was but I don't thing that is the best way power and efficiency wise but I guess I could be wrong I will tear one of the old batteries apart and see what the are doing with the BMS.

I will open up the case and check it out to see if there is enough room......and take some photos. That alternative method of wiring is interesting......you say you think you know why they did it that way.....why??

My son learnt to use the wheel this weekend........not as quickly as his dad though! So it might still be worth doing the upgrade. I don't know if a second battery would come with its own controller or not? That might make a difference on how one wires it up.....any thoughts on that?

Went for my first proper trip on the wheel at the weekend after 3rd charge. Two miles to the supermarket....... The doors opened automatically as I arrived and the way was clear.......so I sailed in on the wheel and around to the aisle I wanted before getting off......noone said a thing!

Went to charge it up again later in the day and found the charger had gone kaput......it's grown a large spot which has split on the face near the light. I had another look at the instructions and to see if my charging method was correct.....I have been connecting the wheel first....so not that.......I did leave it to charge all night ........but cannot tell from the nonsensicle English translation if they are advising that or not????.........any way hopefully the English agent will replace it.......if not any recommendations on chargers or is a generic one as good as necessary?

IMG_20151121_180431.jpg

I'm not sure if it's possible with yours but I was able to fit another battery in the case by putting it flat above the wheel like so:

4bn0EAm.jpg

2015-11-23 10.07.22.jpg

If you can't fit another battery inside the case, consider replacing the battery with another, larger capacity battery (it must be the same size or still fit of course). Alternatively, and since you're charger is broken anyway, you could buy another battery and hack up a simple external charger like I did with a spare battery and the plug-end of my old charger:

c2z2W9n.jpg

It works really well!

So Tom, are you proposing charging the two batteries separately but wiring them in parrellel together? How are you charging them?

Good news.......the supplier of my wheel is posting me a new charger to replace the one which has gone kaput!

It looks like I may be able to get another battery a lot cheaper....... I was checking out wheels when I saw one which had a hoverboard specification by mistake...... So I pointed it out to them, but to do so I had to join a site.......and now I am receiving quotes direct from various chinese suppliers. My current plan is to buy enough Hoverboards to finance a big Kingsong wheel from the profits .....which are ridiculously high even if I undercut the prices on EBay and through in a bag. I am not buying EUC,s as I don't want to encourage them where I live ......I,d rather keep them under the radar as they are not covered by any legislation whatsoever and can therefore be used on pavements or roads.......at the moment!

Archived