MSuperX foot pedal extensions in progress

Delmeekc

Having looked at the options and cost of larger and the new nylon pedals I've decided to try and make my own extensions.  It's a bit of a work in progress job as still running through options of mounting etc.  I only think I need them at the front to hopefully save the old toes hanging off the pedal and burning up or getting tingly.  May only need the right one as my left foot is much further back but I'll make (or attempt too) the pair whilst I'm in the mood.  

Started with a scrap 90mm diameter t6 alloy bar.  Haven't got far as yet as hands and arm need a rest as the cutting by hand took hours yesterday, I'm also waiting for some hardware to try something out.

Will post progress as it moves along until it's complete or I give up.

So I had an idea and the main fixing is in (will have to do again for the other side as doing the right side first) and I moved the plate inwards which will stop any floor scraping and picked up the thread that the spindle grub screws locate in.  Getting the angle and drill and taping the thread was a mission but the extension is solid and need to work out one more fixing that really just needs some shear strength.  All the weight it taken on the main bolt, copper bolt is temporary as waiting for a long grub screws, only had the copper in M10x1.5.  Took a long time of mounting, demounting and filing to get a nice snug fit as the plate moves in and out as rotated and is dictated by the thread in the footplate.  Photos and a little video up later.

Today's effort.  Struggled using a pillar drill like a CNC machine but eventually got the recess for the bolt made. Also managed to tap an M5 thread in the end of the foot plate. May well leave it at that and take off the burrs and sharp edges and give it a try tomorrow morning before I do any more to see how it holds up.

16 minutes ago, Willy510 said:

Why not just make a new bigger top plate since you have machine tools?

This is much easier but still takes forever by hand. I like the mix of rubber and grip tape of the original and only really need a little more on the front.  Also only have certain stuff in the shed so limits what I can do.  

Also fully reversible if it doesn't do anything for me, have to plug the M5 hole with a grub screw and that's it.

Waiting for the M10 grub screws but mounted it and added some grip tape for a test ride maybe later this evening or early tomorrow morning, when it's a bit cooler.

So unable to do the test ride and the grub screws didn't turn up so lunch time I decided to get the other one made and also finish them both off. All complete ready for the parts to fit them, both foot plates also ready and threads tapped.

Managed to get them on ahead of the proper bolts and just been out for an hour or so with my son and it's so much better.  Feet feel so much less tired, no burning, no numbness and I can also get more acceleration with less effort.  I normally set off the 90 amp wheel log alarm when setting off or moving from say 5mph accelerating, now I can set it off at any speed with little effort still using the one leg bent more than the other method on my left toes.   Whilst moving I can add a tiny bit of extra pressure on my right foot (which I couldn't do before as my ball of my foot was virtually off the right pedal) and it's off along with the alarm.  Riding in medium mode.  

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Blicky Te️la said:

Did this help with foot fatigue? 

100%, I'm so used to them now I forgot what pain I used to get.  The problem I had was that my front part of my feet would go numb due to the pressure on the balls of my feet which were half on the front edge of the footplates.