KS16b blown fuse

FinRider

Last weekend i took my ”new” KS16b for a spin on my lawn. The wheel is new to me, bought it used as my first real euc to learn on. Absolutely love it.

I did a quick turn followed by a semi-hard acceleration and found myself eating grass. The wheel was completely dead. Opened up the wheel and found the blown fuse. Thanks to this forum i managed to attempt this on my own with the excellent tear down instructions that are available. The only thing that the tear down instructions dont mention clearly is to disconnect the battery plug from the motherboard before removing/replacing the fuse. This may be ”common knowledge” but should still be emphasized as i had mine spark a bit.... dont know how dangerous it would have been to touch the battery voltage, but they do pack a punch!

imreplaced the fuse with another ”red” mini fuse, only to have it blow on me on my 1st spin again. This time I took care to google/search this forum a bit more to find out the original fuse is a 40A mini fuse and my ”red” fuse was a 10A.... should have known better but the 6pack+ that i enjoyed while tearing down the euc might have had something to do with this..... 

next morning i went to town to find a  new 40A mini, only to find out that the standard for mini fuses stop a 30A. Stopped at 5 different shops, but no luck locating a 40A. Ordered some from amazon, but they wont be here until early june... so I bought a standard 40A, cut down the legs on an angle and finnished of the hack job with my dremel to get the fuse to fit.

Took the KS for a 25km slow ride on a (mostly) gravel trip and my hack job has held up nicely.... the same can not be said about my lower back :crying:I had only about 60km on the wheel prior to this and taking a couple of spills on the gravel made me very tense... just need to practice more, will resume that tomorrow.

the reason for this post is to get some insight into what could have made the fuse blow in the first place? The grass was a level surface and fairly solid. Did not get any overpower warnings etc.. would hate to bite the dust going 20+ km/h on pavement..

IMG_1083.JPG?raw=1

10 hours ago, FinRider said:

The only thing that the tear down instructions dont mention clearly is to disconnect the battery plug from the motherboard before removing/replacing the fuse. This may be ”common knowledge” but should still be emphasized as i had mine spark a bit.... dont know how dangerous it would have been to touch the battery voltage, but they do pack a punch!

67.2V is normally considered as safe voltage. But for sure one will feel it. Under unlucky, bad circumstances it could be dangerous, too (wet hands, heart problems,...)

Against the sparks just anti spark plugs help really - without them one has to plug in without hesitation.

10 hours ago, FinRider said:

the reason for this post is to get some insight into what could have made the fuse blow in the first place? The grass was a level surface and fairly solid. Did not get any overpower warnings etc.. would hate to bite the dust going 20+ km/h on pavement..

It's hard to guess the reason. One point could be that around standstill "hard" accelerations are an enormous burden for wheels. 

It's not uncommon in EUC history to blow mosfets in such situations - KS has fuses to protect them.