New rider, first day

Paul

My IPS Zero 260 arrived today.  I've been anxiously waiting for it to arrive for a few weeks now.  I put foam rubber padding all over it expecting to crash a bunch.  I was pleasantly surprised that I could ride it pretty effectively after just a couple tries.  It took a few more tries to mount it without holding on to something, and I took one dive in the process (fortunately, I was wearing wrist guards).  I'm attributing my success to recently learning to ride a traditional unicycle.  I'm looking forward to more practice and getting more comfortable.  I'm sure I'll have some photos and videos to share in the coming weeks.  This forum has been a great source of information while I've researched options and waited for mine to arrive.  Thanks everybody!

I feel the IPS Zero is a good beginner EUC due to it's light weight, slim form factor and responsiveness. Added padding to the sides would help a lot to relieve the pressure on the shin and shin bones when mounting and maintaining balance and the V shaped pedals provide secure foot hold without the feeling of being slippery which is common with flat pedaled models. I am glad that you are happy with your Zero, I'm happy with mine too. :)

Well, I'm getting more comfortable.  I have about 15 km on the Zero now and can pretty comfortably get on and off without holding anything.  I had one fall: I was accelerating, then braking pretty hard.  I overdid the aggressive braking, and the unit when out from under me.  I had the wrist guards on, so the only thing bruised was my ego (and maybe an elbow a little).  Anyway, here's a video.  This is after maybe two hours of total time playing with EUCs.  Keep in mind, I've spent many hours learning to ride a real unicycle recently.

Archived