Troubleshoot a motherboard?

Tuna

I have another post going but just curious if there is anyway to tell if a motherboard is bad? I want to order a new one but they are sold as is. So I want to make sure mine is bad before ordering another one.

I'm trying to let the capacitors discharge now before I need to much with it. 

fried my friend's mobo last month, still waiting for the ic chips from China, shipping via sea is like taking forever since all flight suspended :P Mistake i made was just like you, discharge using the on/ off switch then start working on the mobo, i think i accidentally shorted one of the chip, there are still high voltage on those capacitors ! Remember i saw it either here or youtube video, after disconnected the battery, off/on a few times to discharge, they still shorted both the huge capacitor to fully discharge it & one comment says its a bad practice so i didn't do it & fully regreted it.

Troubleshoot & found the culprit, its was the regulator AMS1117 shorted but that one is the 3.3v supply rail connected to all including the STM32, MPU6050 & etc chips. So i went on checking all chips & found one of the ACS709 was the actual culprit, it has a few more pins shorted to ground. For you case, first measure the AMS1117 with a multimeter, if its shorted, it won't switch on.

20200501-125409-1.jpg.6dd433d03bae8cd36db76673675a1505.jpg

On your board, i think AMS1117 is at the RED circle area.

Thanks yuweng for the detailed walkthrough! I'll meet with it more today and see what I can find out. I went ahead and ordered another motherboard just in case. I don't really trust myself trying to replace components on a board but I'll definitely try

• Like 1

The caps don’t get flushed with a few quick presses, we had a multimeter on a Nikola board while we did that and it took about half a minute of keeping the power button pressed to get below 20V.

• Like 1