V10 Pedal hanger swap

Skecys

Hey guys, anybody who has done this? None of the online guides or youtube videos show how to do this. I'm reluctant to open mine up before I know what to expect (since I might damage the pads). From what I gather from the videos, the motor wire connector does not fit through the pre-cut hole for the axle (in the pedal hanger) so I would have to desolder/resolder it? 

Figured I might as well ask here first. -_-

Can you share what is wrong with the hangers if you need to change them? It's not a usual thing to break. Mostly the pedals themselves need changing after just few thousand kilometres if you have the old version. 

The V10 (and probably the V8 as well) has a "design flaw" in that the metal they use for the pedal hangers is somewhat weak, it chips easily. This was my first wheel, I learned on it, so it hit the ground a lot. I did use a cover for it so the shell did not get damaged but the pedal hangers took the brunt of the impacts. Some material chipped off of them. the part that chips when the unit falls on it's side is also the part that makes the pedal angle. So if too much material gets removed, the pedal on that side starts to droop. There is not enough material left to support the pedal angle. I hope this makes sense hehe.

I bought replacements a while ago but kept putting off the repair because of the possible soldering required. I would like to sell the unit but in order to do so with a clear conscience I want to repair it first, though I do not think my soldering skills are good enough to safely fix such an important connector.

Edited by Skecys

I had the same drooping problem but the problem was not the hangers but the pedals were too soft and the resting point too narrow. So the hanger made a dent on the pedals and that's why they started drooping. Make sure you have new pedals first. You might not even need to change the hangers. 

IMG_4620.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UniVehje said:

I had the same drooping problem but the problem was not the hangers but the pedals were too soft and the resting point too narrow. So the hanger made a dent on the pedals and that's why they started drooping. Make sure you have new pedals first. You might not even need to change the hangers. 

IMG_4620.jpeg

I wish that was it :(. The problem was clearly visible after like 200km (probably even earlier if I had checked). My pedals are fine sadly.

The three motor wires In the yellow connector that won’t fit through the hole might have pins that come out of the connector and if so, won’t need soldering. I haven’t done this but most connectors have the pins connected to the wires and then inserted into the connector housing and locked in it with a hooked or bent metal clip. A special tool may be needed to remove it though.