MCM5 buzzer mod, also measured dBA levels

Delmeekc

Since the lockdown I've been doing exercise every other day early morning and started wearing a full face crash helmet, after modify the helmet the beeps are still to faint, add a bit of wind and I can't hear them.  So I set out to mod the buzzer, 1st attempt was a fail as I quickly found out the sound actually comes out of the 4 slots on the side and not the front.  Looked neat (as I used a spare charge socket and removed the inside, that way I had a cover for when it was raining) but didn't work, in fact it was worse. 

x9VF7oUVxpjvSXqWSDUyB8h_flQTDsph7WDx5b7a

Also to be noted is that the buzzer has to be fixed to a solid piece of plastic and another plastic disc needs to be added to raise the center or it won't make a loud noise.  Like the below but resorted in the end to a circular disc.

SRK6I_OF1ENsp8Fw_8RkhYmmP2RI9PJiyxCNI8A6

So on the second attempt I had to extend the cables carefully so they were longer and also on a plug and socket, I also had to enlarge the hole.  As I had already failed and cut a hole I had to glue a piece of plastic across the hold for the pilot of the hole cutter, turned out fine.  It's flush with the slots and there is silicon on the inside, waiting for a rubber cap so I can cover it in bad weather.  I also trimmed off the small upstand posts off the buzzer so the slots were fully exposed, only half exposed with them on.

KhiIBqO3EW6M736dVbv_OW2zV_K7vV5oUhPL4XBK

I did 10 miles this morning and it seems fine and really loud, will test tomorrow after a full charge.

Before I started I measured the dBA at 1m but offset on a worktop (worse case on the opposite side to the buzzer) and recorded 80dBA in the normal position, with the side cover off I measured 85dBA.  In it's new position I just measured 87dBA.  On the original two tests there was a dishwasher adding to the overall noise in the background but today silence, well as much as you can get.  Tested on both slow and fast settings with the same dBA meter.

Edited by Delmeekc
added some more info.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about that, Google drive was getting full so had to download a batch.  Just been out on a 17 mile ride with both wheels, hot today in the UK.

If you need anything specific let me know or ask and I'll explain if I can.