Do we need back protectors?

On 5/6/2020 at 2:28 AM, RayBanMonster said:

I use a Knox Shirt. (unbelievably excellent motorcycle yet summer super max protect garment (CE approved)  )  many falls in it.. not a single injury.

That said it has a knox lightweight D3O like back protector. Id rather have it than not BUT.. IT HAS NEVER EVER BEEN TESTED in any fall.

Danger areas:

HEAD: Clearly.. but Ive had several face-plants at speed (>32 MPH) no chin bar just bike helmet. Bike helmet only ever grazed mildly .( I now wear full face helmet).***

HANDS/ Wrists (first/second likely impact speed reducer, huge wrist injury after back hand smash to ground during ROLL. I now wear Know Handriod... zero injuries after many falls.) ****

Knees (take the sting out of initial fall). Very minor injury to knee side and a chaffing injury at knee solved with talcum powder. I choose KNOW trousers.. with knee and hip protection. Minor injuries(at knee only.. its the main impact zone, see above).******************

Elbows (always make contact NEVER had injury there with protection)**

Stomach (winded badly twice on fall)*****

Ankles ( if you do >30mph, a twist/fall without motorcycle grade protection may sprain ankle or damage tip, heel etc during (not impact BUT ROLL)... PS standard trainers WILL BE SHREDDED ON A FALL.**

Backside: If your trousers arent high, tight & abrasion resistant, and reached/covered by your jacket or top, then  if you fall and roll, the slip diff ( you will roll according to abrasive resistance) will rub and wear your clothes to shreds & the backside top will be come exposed.. the road rash there will debilitate you for 10 days. ( you will stick to the bed regularly only to wake and see early formed scabs pulled away sticking to sheets as you peel yourself off... ABSOLUTE MESS  & hassle... dont do this guys.*********

The back protector is the least tested part of the body, but for the weight involved its a "no brainer",  wear it my freind(s).

When you wear the full gear, you can fall seriously and in five minutes you're laughing at the silly scrapes on the wheel.. back on and " rockin the kazbar "

Best

P

Well said. I fell a few days ago at 39kmh on my mten3 and feel bad about going too fast (gaining confidence is dangerous too, this was a rare very clean piece of road and I just pushed it), was wearing full mc gear and full face helmet, flexmeters and knee pads. 

I was also wearing quality mc hitops with reinforced ankles but still got a fractured ankle (tip of the fibula I understand).

Hips not protected: big piece of skin rubbed off and bruised but not broken though there was a strong impact and pain. Face grazed from the goggles but I felt zero head impact (not sure what happened but it was a nice tumble I'm told, with the mten3 bouncing along, not even cut off, I think)

The level 2 d3o in the elbow pads (had replaced the level 1 pads) probably prevented a broken elbow, I have a huge totally painless bruise that must have come from the impact and looks like the pad 'printed' itself on the elbow. Wasn't wearing the d3o backpad in the jacket, should have, could have rolled into a tree or whatever...

I'm quite depressed about the broken ankle (seems relatively minor but hurts a lot) and the 2 months forced rest time. Will definitely use d3o protections in my shoes next time.

And ride slower.

• Like 1