Do we need back protectors?

I'm in the process of buying a new jacket and was wondering whether we need back protectors or not. I'd guess that the typical 1.0 euc accident involves flying forward trying to imitate superman.

Out of all falls, have you ever used or wanted to have a back protector, or is it just dead weight and extra unwanted warmth?

I've had some fast falls (30mph) and I've seen others' fast falls on YouTube. I was surprised at how much the body twists during a slide, I've ended up on my back a few times as did the people in the videos. I would recommend a back protector if you ride fast. SamSuffit is also right that you can just stick a small sized back protector in your backpack in the laptop pocket (or wherever you can find room). 

• Like 3

If youre going to bother to wear a jacket for impact relief, I see very little reason to NOT have a back protector in it, should one fit easily. I have a mesh jacket that I'll be wearing from time to time. It had a pocket in it for a back protector, so I stole one from another 'street'  jacket and it still wears about the same. Im a comfort snob, lazy about gear too. The less pieces it is, the more likely I'd wear it. The mesh jacket is my summer jacket and it contains elbow, shoulder, and back protection. Its minimal for slides, but more than i would ever wear, if it was more cumbersome or a pain in the ass than a simple jacket. The jacket is cool, but the back pad does indeed create a hot spot. If you keep moving tho, air flow makes it very tolerable on even hot ass humid days in the south.  I like it in a jacket, as its not reliant on any external items like backpacks. Look into the recent offerings for bicycle riders. Bicycles are starting to get some attention for some GREAT gear that isnt the bullshit of yesteryear. As my skills increase, so will the risks. It wont be long before an armored jacket on a hot day, is common for me as well. For the wrists... Flexmeters all day long!! Im still not willing to cook my nuts in armored pants, but maybe soon theyll make a good mesh set that changes my mind.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

If you have a backpack on a back pad is not necessary. But without A backpack a pad will help when you roll and slam on your back a couple times while rolling after a 30mph fall. You’ll feel like you’re rolling on a foam mattress with one 

• Like 1

Yeah, I appreciate the protection a back protector can give if you roll. I just wasn't sure if rolling is common when crashing or if a straight face plant is more common. I have a mtb backpack with a hard protector in it, I may just aim for using that one more often.

On 4/10/2020 at 2:00 AM, PennBruce said:

I have a mesh jacket with an upgraded back pad.  It is cumbersome to wear.  The jacket and the helmet earned their keep the first time my Ninebot One set me back and I ended up flat on my back on the pavement.

I've now augmented the jacket with this:

https://www.bohnarmor.com/product/all-season-airtex-armored-riding-shirt-black/

It's an armored shirt.  The mesh is not ballistic but it provides shoulder, back, arm and elbow protection.   It's very light and can be worn under a street jacket for those occasions when you want protection but don't want to look out of place.

They also make an even more porous version for folks living in hot humid climates.

Bruce

BOHN-BODY-ARMOR-ARMORED-RIDING-SHIRT-BLUE-WHITE-FRONT.jpg

Was eyeing this on Amazon a few minutes ago...how does it run size wise?

The sizing chart is accurate.  

I suggest buying direct from the manufacturer.  They ship immediately. 

Amazon has been delaying shipping nonessential items.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I landed flat on my back doing emergency braking training, I have used either my POC jacket or MC jacket with D3O backplate. It is fairly soft and flexible and after a few riders you get used to it. 

My new Klim Carlsbad gote-tex suit came wo D3O lvl2 at knees, hips, elbows, shoulders and backplate. I bought it maybe 1 size too big. But it is fairly ventilated so in late fall/winter time I need to wear more hot clothes underneath. So I decided to keep it. 20200402_130242_compress1.thumb.jpg.e8fa82e6f2a2b69422fd8460812bc554.jpg

the good part is the legs have goat leather in the inner side of the lower legs so it does wear down when leaning at the wheel. Legs are too long but I flip up the leg length like 1" or so. And then they are perfect. Belly got too big to go down in size. :(

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wear a Demon X series jacket with D30, motorcycle CE 1 rated armor on shoulders, elbows, back and chest and Bohn armored pants under jeans. Also CE1 rated. I’m in San Francisco so the heat is not a problem. I usually throw a hoodie on over the shirt. I find it all pretty comfortable. The D30 is pliable and ventilated. I like the peace of mind from the armor and a full face helmet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GMan said:

I wear a Demon X series jacket with D30, motorcycle CE 1 rated armor on shoulders, elbows, back and chest and Bohn armored pants under jeans. Also CE1 rated. I’m in San Francisco so the heat is not a problem. I usually throw a hoodie on over the shirt. I find it all pretty comfortable. The D30 is pliable and ventilated. I like the peace of mind from the armor and a full face helmet.

d30 is still my favorite. I tried some micromesh armor the other day and sent it right back. Some of this stuff is too damn hard at rest and like a brick on impact. D30 seems the best balance of both to me.  Demon makes some good shit, a little on the bulky side, but definite protection. Usually my armor is a cotton t-shirt, but i do get points for at least OWNING protective gear :)

On 4/21/2020 at 1:32 AM, Rehab1 said:

My wife loves goats! :crying:

They eat literary anything. 

But going back to topic. I have now used my Klim mc suit a bit more. And it is actually very nice. Also it came with 3D0 lvl 2 pads. But most of them (except back plate) are made in a mesh so you don't build up heat, as they stay ventilated. 

But this is were I am a little unsure. As the mc suit is made for adventure riding it isn't a snug fit so pad zones are not tight on the body. If that is good or bad I can't tell. They are a bit bigger and more shaped than my previous pads. In general you like to have them close to have body temperature. If they are cold it isn't as flexible.I could probably had gone down a size in jacket but then I would have room for a warm underlayer in winter time. But I really like it despite being expensive. 

Pads should be snug enough not to move around if they impact something and unprotect the areas in question. My Knox Urbane Pro is a snug fit; I can wear a regular t-shirt/dress shirt under it without worrying about getting them wrinkled up, and wear any warmth I need on top of it.

• Like 1

I know. It is mostly my elbow pads that shift a bit. But the one time were I didn't make a curb climb it did its job on both knees and elbows zones. And so did my smaller wrist guards too. 

The wheels follow an edge on cubble stones just as I were to go over the curb. But I had no momentum so wheel stopped, I didn't :cry2:.

45 minutes ago, jonm42 said:

Pads should be snug enough not to move around if they impact something and unprotect the areas in question. My Knox Urbane Pro is a snug fit; I can wear a regular t-shirt/dress shirt under it without worrying about getting them wrinkled up, and wear any warmth I need on top of it.

Exactly. Compromises for comfort and coolness ALL begin to chip away at the golden rule... If they dont stay in place, they arent working properly. TIght pants and Jackets on my frame are impossible. I have them fitting as best they can(still loose) and put very large armor in the knees with cupped shape (not d30) as they seem somewhat likely to stay in place. HUGE back pad too. When I want to be certain, I have to NOT compromise the golden rule and I wear knee pads that attach directly to my legs under the pants, and forgo the built in armor. Same with elbow should i desire them.  Less comfy, more heat, guaranteed to be in place when I need them to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

But this is were I am a little unsure. As the mc suit is made for adventure riding it isn't a snug fit so pad zones are not tight on the body. If that is good or bad I can't tell.

Any protective padding that is designed to safeguard an anatomical joint should remain stationary upon impact or the shock absorption capabilities will be diminished. 

One example would be encapsulating a fractured arm with a ‘loose fitting’  cast. Any migration or oscillation of the cast from a direct force would compromise the fracture site.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jonm42 said:

Also known as "OWWWWW!"

Not everyone is in pain. I’ve seen some tough kids remove their own casts before the fx is healed. :facepalm:

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, rolekl said:

I'm in the process of buying a new jacket and was wondering whether we need back protectors or not. I'd guess that the typical 1.0 euc accident involves flying forward trying to imitate superman.

Out of all falls, have you ever used or wanted to have a back protector, or is it just dead weight and extra unwanted warmth?

I use a Knox Shirt. (unbelievably excellent motorcycle yet summer super max protect garment (CE approved)  )  many falls in it.. not a single injury.

That said it has a knox lightweight D3O like back protector. Id rather have it than not BUT.. IT HAS NEVER EVER BEEN TESTED in any fall.

Danger areas:

HEAD: Clearly.. but Ive had several face-plants at speed (>32 MPH) no chin bar just bike helmet. Bike helmet only ever grazed mildly .( I now wear full face helmet).***

HANDS/ Wrists (first/second likely impact speed reducer, huge wrist injury after back hand smash to ground during ROLL. I now wear Know Handriod... zero injuries after many falls.) ****

Knees (take the sting out of initial fall). Very minor injury to knee side and a chaffing injury at knee solved with talcum powder. I choose KNOW trousers.. with knee and hip protection. Minor injuries(at knee only.. its the main impact zone, see above).******************

Elbows (always make contact NEVER had injury there with protection)**

Stomach (winded badly twice on fall)*****

Ankles ( if you do >30mph, a twist/fall without motorcycle grade protection may sprain ankle or damage tip, heel etc during (not impact BUT ROLL)... PS standard trainers WILL BE SHREDDED ON A FALL.**

Backside: If your trousers arent high, tight & abrasion resistant, and reached/covered by your jacket or top, then  if you fall and roll, the slip diff ( you will roll according to abrasive resistance) will rub and wear your clothes to shreds & the backside top will be come exposed.. the road rash there will debilitate you for 10 days. ( you will stick to the bed regularly only to wake and see early formed scabs pulled away sticking to sheets as you peel yourself off... ABSOLUTE MESS  & hassle... dont do this guys.*********

The back protector is the least tested part of the body, but for the weight involved its a "no brainer",  wear it my freind(s).

When you wear the full gear, you can fall seriously and in five minutes you're laughing at the silly scrapes on the wheel.. back on and " rockin the kazbar "

Best

P

Edited by RayBanMonster
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, RayBanMonster said:

Backside: If your trousers arent high, tight & abrasion resistant, and reached/covered by your jacket or top, then  if you fall and roll, the slip diff ( you will roll according to abrasive resistance) will rub and wear your clothes to shreds & the backside top will be come exposed.. the road rash there will debilitate you for 10 days. ( you will stick to the bed regularly only to wake and see early formed scabs pulled away sticking to sheets as you peel yourself off... ABSOLUTE MESS  & hassle... dont do this guys.*********

Wear a backpack problem solved.