KS18L pedal settings

HuskerDawg

20 minutes ago, HuskerDawg said:

Ordered my new pedals. Hope I like em better! I'll have to look at my trolley handle closely. I haven't even noticed bolts and nuts. Do you have to take off plastic sides to get to the fasteners?

i'd put $100 bill on the fact that you WILL appreciate the pedals and not regret the expense after a mere 20 minutes. The trolley handle requires taking the pads and lights and shell off. I wouldnt bother until yours breaks. Hell, you may be gentle and it never breaks. You can get to the screws in the actual handle (underneath and small), check those and loctite if need be. The pedals dont require anything removed but the pins in the ends.. congrats on the purchase, youll feel like a king. With big pedals and a cover, it really does make me think im driving a lincoln towncar. Fwiw, I put washers UNDER the little pedal tab that holds them in place. I prefered my pedals being a lot stiffer to fold/unfold. I also used aluminum cans to shim them, as my ocd ass didnt like the rattle from loose tolerances. Nothing to worry about tho, you neednt bother if you dont care. Loctite the single bolt (not the pin!), as Ive heard of them coming out on other models. I used a tiny bit of beeswax where pin and pedal contact.  I'll tell you this for a fact: Flat level pedals are the ticket. I just spent an hour on the gotway and my ankles and knees are bitching about their pedal angle. As soon as I find a table grinder, Ima fix that nonsense.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Lincoln Towncar Eh? Sounds great! I think I will like em too. I am enjoying this new hobby. Just be glad when the weather gets a tad warmer. Once we get back to some kind normalcy, we'll have to plan a trip somewhere to all hook up and tear around. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I just spent an hour on the gotway and my ankles and knees are bitching about their pedal angle. As soon as I find a table grinder, Ima fix that nonsense.

For grinding down the pedal angle I’d suggest a flat hand file on the pedals instead, that’s what I ended up using. It’s easier to get an even end result.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

For grinding down the pedal angle I’d suggest a flat hand file on the pedals instead, that’s what I ended up using. It’s easier to get an even end result.

Well I got a flat hand file here. I just figured it would take days and I'd be better with a tabletop grinder. Hell, I may give it a go then...

24 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Well I got a flat hand file here. I just figured it would take days and I'd be better with a tabletop grinder. Hell, I may give it a go then...

You are going to remove only about 1mm of aluminium from the pedal, and while the alloy is hardened, a regular good flat file bites in well enough.

Prepare to put the pedal back in it's place and measure the angle often enough not to go too far!

Edited by mrelwood

will do. I totally understand the concept of... you file off too much and you cant put it back. Im looking forward to starting this in a few minutes. That angle really is tough on ya after 1/2hr or so. ANY hr long rides can be tough on the balls of the feet, but that ankle/knee/hip angle just seems a wretched thing over time. SOrry about the thread hijack. At least i can address the thread with this... KS owners that dont know any better.. YES the flat pedal angle is more comfortable than the overly angled. Maybe angled keeps you on the pedals better, i dont know. I do know that arthritic hips prefer a flatter stance.

• Like 1