Vinyl Wrap and Side Pads Question

Cory Brown

Is it okay to apply the vinyl wrap to the wheel and then add the side pads/power pads/winglets to the vinyl?

Or is it best to apply pads to the wheel and vinyl around them? I do plan on doing a bit of jumping at the skate park if that makes any difference.

Also, any general tips for wrapping? I'll be wrapping a Nikola and MCM5. Mainly curious about the MCM5 vents and whether or not to wrap over the LEDs on the Nikola or if I should cut out around them.

Vinyl + jumping at the skate park would seem to be an odd combination. Both of these things are awesome separately, but I just envision that the kinds of abuse at a skate park would quickly tear up a vinyl wrap? (Maybe I'm wrong? Or maybe some people like that aesthetic?) Most wheels used for tricks/jumps look pretty beaten up quickly, whereas I imagine one would vinyl wrap a cruiser that is less likely to fall/that they keep nice. (Another reason to have multiple wheels. ;-) ) Also I can't imagine jumping on the heavy boat that is the Nikola--it'd be like taking a Lincoln Town Car on a road course. I say jump the MCM5 and wrap the Nikola for cruising. (Just my opinion. Or if you're going to jump the Nikola, be sure to let me know when so I can come watch, lol.)

(Oh and since I see you're in Denver, note that the Denver Skate Park at 20th & Little Raven is explicitly anti-electric-vehicles on all the signs. I've never tried/no idea how likely it is to have anyone give you trouble, just FYI. Or do you know a different place that is fine with them?)

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AtlasP said:

Vinyl + jumping at the skate park would seem to be an odd combination. Both of these things are awesome separately, but I just envision that the kinds of abuse at a skate park would quickly tear up a vinyl wrap? (Maybe I'm wrong? Or maybe some people like that aesthetic?) Most wheels used for tricks/jumps look pretty beaten up quickly, whereas I imagine one would vinyl wrap a cruiser that is less likely to fall/that they keep nice. (Another reason to have multiple wheels. ;-) ) Also I can't imagine jumping on the heavy boat that is the Nikola--it'd be like taking a Lincoln Town Car on a road course. I say jump the MCM5 and wrap the Nikola for cruising. (Just my opinion. Or if you're going to jump the Nikola, be sure to let me know when so I can come watch, lol.)

(Oh and since I see you're in Denver, note that the Denver Skate Park at 20th & Little Raven is explicitly anti-electric-vehicles on all the signs. I've never tried/no idea how likely it is to have anyone give you trouble, just FYI. Or do you know a different place that is fine with them?)

That will likely be the plan. I can't imagine I'll want to hit the skatepark with the Nikola that often, but we'll see.

Part of the reasoning for the vinyl is to add a bit of abrasion resistance. I'm sure it will get scratched up, but I can live with that. If it gets bad enough I can replace it. I also want to add some rubber bumpers on the edges to help a bit as well.

I noticed those signs there at the skatepark. Stapleton skate park has them too, but idk how seriously they take it. I imagine it's mostly to keep all the scooters out. I've played around at both on my MCM5 with no trouble, but I'm sure it depends on who is there. It's not my primary reason for riding, but it's definitely fun to hit up occasionally. If I ever run into trouble, I'll be sure to post about it here so you can learn from my trouble.

So are you in Denver now? Or is it coming up?

• Like 1