The electric unicycle is the most ethical means of urban transportation

gyb

I recently wrote up an argument for why the electric unicycle is the most ethical means of urban transportation. Although I intended it as a satire, I thought to share the argument here, as some people might actually buy into its premises.. :)
https://balazstango.blogspot.com/2020/02/the-electric-unicycle-is-most-ethical.html

The main text is as follows (the referenced calculations/data can be found in the appendix of the linked source):

The electric unicycle is the most ethical means of urban transportation.

First, we can rule out any means of transportation that utilizes a vehicle that under its normal operation has a larger kinetic energy than a small scooter, because these vehicles should be banned. The question whether large vehicles should be banned is analogous to the question whether firearms should be banned, and so anyone who endorses the latter should also endorse the former: large vehicles are deadly weapons, and although their correct operation usually does not directly kill people, loss over their control or their willful misuse does lead to death due to the generated kinetic impact. I will not defend here the premise that firearms should be banned in cities, only appeal to consistency, and note that most city-dwellers are unmoved by the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" counter-argument, and do strongly believe that firearms should be banned in cities.

Second, we can rule out internal combustion-based scooters, because their air pollution pose health hazard at the point of their operation, in the city environment. To quantify, air pollution by internal combustion-based vehicles reduce our life expectancy on average with half a year. This is unethical, since an affordable alternative, that does not produce such air pollution, exists.

Third, we can rule out walking and cycling, because they lead to larger environmental damage than electric vehicle use. Although it should be obvious that the human body is much less efficient to utilize chemical energy (of food, the production of which requires a lot of fossil fuel) than a power plant, an explicit comparison between bicycle use and electric unicycle use can be made: if all bicycle use would be replaced by electric unicycle use, the resulting reduction in CO2 emission would be greater than the combined CO2 emission of 58 countries! 

This essentially leaves us with a choice between the electric unicycle and the electric scooter. Between these two, the electric unicycle takes up half the space than the electric scooter, which in a city environment should be decisive to live and let live. 

Hence, the electric unicycle is the most ethical means of urban transportation.

• Like 3

Slightly surprised by the lack of reaction. If the argument were sound, it would consequently give rise to an ethical obligation for everyone to ride an EUC. Given that some countries legal system is not yet able to recognize EUCs, this would in turn give rise to a conflict between what is ethical and what is legal; riding an EUC in these places could then be viewed as an act of civil disobedience. 

• Like 1

Let's assume the argument is not trolling or a parody. For the hell of it.

Firstly, I prefer something like "less selfish".

So my reaction? I object.

I object to the ranking of one good choice over all others.

Space is used as a tie breaker between EUCs and another equally valid choice of Electric scooters. On what basis? On the basis of space. I'd suggest that the tiny space that either occupies is insignificant in the grand scheme of ALL the space every person, in a sense, "occupies" (that needed for transport, agricultural space, living space, processing-your-toilet-waste space and the list goes on). But if you need to use a tie breaker then so be it. Reluctantly I'll give EUC's over Electric Scooters by a nose.

In the arguments I note that we have left out the significant costs of battery manufacture and eventual disposal. Those are SERIOUS footprints. I'd rank non-electric bikes and skateboards - both very efficient transport options - well in front then.

But the kicker is ranking walking and riding as less desirable on the basis that in so doing we have to then replace the energy the body uses that is sourced from agriculture etc. We are conveniently ignoring quality of life things like health and longevity. (We have also failed to account for the environmental and energy costs of the resulting extra health services required btw.)

So on THAT rationale the most "ethical" choice is to ditch the EUC*** , sit at home all day and die at an early age with thebody, organs and physical abilities of Jabba the Hutt! :wacko:

The arguments have been crammed into a desired result. This is the lot of our politicians and should be left to them.They are far better at it anyway.

Why bother trying to exclude other valid choices? It's not a contest in which we need to finish on top. Just get outside and ride your EUC while being happy that we (well not me, I don't ride an EUC) are doing less damage than if you were driving your car.

Interesting subject for a school debating team anyway. :w00t2:

***(don't forget to dispose of the batteries and all other materials in an environmentally responsible fashion while using no energy in doing so) :)

Edited by ColinOldAndCranky
  • Like 1