BMS failure

AlanR

Had my first EUC shutdown and landed flat forward. The EUC is just over 6 weeks old, used approx. 4 to 5 days /week for about an hour each time. Was on flat bitumen road doing about 10 to 12 kph; when EUC flew backwards and me straight down!! Very painful as it was completely unexpected. I wish shut-down locked the wheel which would give the rider a chance to "run" off!!

Anyone have a similar shut-down on a relatively new EUC?  How did you handle it?

40 minutes ago, Myonk said:

@AlanR I'm also concerned about having a BMS failure especially because I own a cheap generic euc. What battery level were you at?

Had just changed from 4 lights to 3 - so pretty full.  I mentioned this to the manufacturer when asking for possible reasons for the failure; still waiting for a reply.

33 minutes ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

The brands that exhibit these type of failure will most likely be banned in the US once the EUC's get a larger foothold here.  These companies are for profit, not growth and will most likely change names or morph later.

Hopefully it will prompt a worldwide change because EUCs are not very common in Australia as yet.

Do the BMS get sourced from a few sources or do the various manufacturers design their own?  I suggested to my EUC manufacturer [China] that they have the wheel lock-up rather than free-wheel!

3 hours ago, SlowMo said:

BMS shunting would help prevent sudden shutdowns but would not totally eliminate it.

What does this achieve - disable the battery protection completely? 

Alternatively is it not possible to delay protection activation for say 5 seconds with a loud warning sound?

1 minute ago, AlanR said:

What does this achieve - disable the battery protection completely? 

Alternatively is it not possible to delay protection activation for say 5 seconds with a loud warning sound?

Please read this topic. It will give you all the information you need.

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/459-electric-unicycles-bms-problem-and-solution/

Archived