MCM5 led torch mount - super bright

Delmeekc

I ride in the dark a lot and have tried a usb torch and also a couple of torches on my wrist guards. Usb torch was brighter but not bright enough, using the torches on my wrist guards had a few issues too, one I couldn't see any holes or bumps because the torch was lighting them up as opposed to casting a shadow and also I was concerned about falling off with the two torches attached to my guards.  

So I spent a bit of time working things out and settled on a weaver mount attached to the body, then a quick release scope/torch mount and purchased a 21700 Fireflies PL47 XP-L HI  6500k torch.  Used it for a month and it's great, ultra bright and will last an hour on one 4000mah cell.  Thought I would share this as the only difficult part was taking the MCM5 apart to fit the weaver rail. 

IMG_20200111_152124.jpg

• Like 2

Oh yea, this is one of the best one by far that i saw.
I was thinking about using GoPro Mount on MCM5, but then it kinda protrude too much from the surface. This one would be nice if it crash(without the flashlight on it), it's flat and shouldn't damage anything.

That's the idea tbh as won't be using the torch once the darkness passes.  Torch is super bright too and throttles the brightness back if it get too hot. Everything is configurable too so played about for the sweet spot as once it ramps down it doesn't ramp back up.  The hardest part was getting the covers off carefully and getting them back on.  Video on YouTube took about 1 minute, me an hour or so.  I grinded the 4 lugs off the mounting plate so it had the same curve as the panel.  Holes lined up with the small squares of the panel so hand drilling was easy too.  Then a variant of 3m double sided tape along with the screws so the screws are not silly tight but they only just picked up the threads.  Thread locked them on too. Had to use a thin strip of rubber on one side of the torch to fit inside the mount.

I'll add the info.

Screenshot_2020-01-13-07-12-01-170_com.ebay.mobile.png

Screenshot_2020-01-13-07-12-28-608_com.ebay.mobile.png

Screenshot_2020-01-13-07-12-51-051_com.ebay.mobile.png

Screenshot_2020-01-13-07-16-15-058_com.banggood.client.png

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Very cool, although I would be worried about the flashlight getting damaged if I crash with the wheel, even in a minor tipover. I usually just carry a flashlight in my hand when I ride. I have both hands free, why not put one of them to use.

I have been thinking about getting an Emisar D18, with genuine 15.000 lumens at full blast, just for fun, but I already have a bunch of flashlights from when I was still collecting them and I dont really NEED such a light. My Convoy S-21 with a 21700 cell and an SST-20 emitter puts out 2.300 lumens and already makes for a great riding light.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Very cool, although I would be worried about the flashlight getting damaged if I crash with the wheel, even in a minor tipover. I usually just carry a flashlight in my hand when I ride. I have both hands free, why not put one of them to use.

I have been thinking about getting an Emisar D18, with genuine 15.000 lumens at full blast, just for fun, but I already have a bunch of flashlights from when I was still collecting them and I dont really NEED such a light. My Convoy S-21 with a 21700 cell and an SST-20 emitter puts out 2.300 lumens and already makes for a great riding light.

With wrist guards on it's a pain holding a torch, I did try with some others attached to the wrist guards but I use my hands when stopping crossing roads etc holding on to posts so I find it better to have both hands free.   Torch is cheap and it'll only break one panel so not really bothered about it tbh.  It's also small enough not to get in the way when riding or moving about, I only use it when it's really dark if I need to see the road/path.