Kingsong 14D Stopped Charging

Andrew Blewett

Hello,

I'm not very handy but I love electric unicycles. The problem is that I have TWO and they're both broken, with different problems. I'm intimidated by the amount of work it takes to fix them. I have a gotway MCM5 which has a flat tire and I don't even know where to start with disassembling it to get at the wheel.

I figured maybe my Kingsong 14D would be easier to work on since I've taken it apart to fix multiple flat tires (are you noticing a pattern), so I'm more familiar with it. I had to set it aside originally because it stopped taking a charge! I finally pulled enough crap off to get a look at the wires going to the charging port, and I don't know if what I'm seeing is normal. There are 3 prongs but only two have wires.

Additionally, the charging cable got nicked back in the day at some point. I don't know if that could be the culprit instead. See included pictures.

I'm at a loss. Riding EUC has been a game changer for me, and a major way I de-stress lately and since my wheels have been out of commission my quality of life has taken a hit.

w9BOo8n.jpg

c4c39FJ.jpg

On 11/24/2019 at 12:42 AM, Andrew Blewett said:

I'm intimidated by the amount of work it takes to fix them.

It would be a new thing to do on a ”baby” of yours, so that is perfectly understandable. Many people have felt the same way, but have ended up making even deeper repairs with the help of this forum and...

I don't even know where to start with disassembling it to get at the wheel.

YouTube. That’s where you start every unfamiliar repair from. Look for ”MCM5 disassembly” or ”MCM5 tire replacement”.

Many people think they are bad at repairing stuff, but there are very few people that actually are bad. If you have patience to follow simple instructions, you’ll surely get it done yourself! If you completely lack patience, then it’d be best to let someone else do the work. Like the distributor you bought the wheel from, or even a local fellow rider.

There are 3 prongs but only two have wires.

This is normal, only two of them are in use. And the crack in the connector isn’t a problem unless it enables the connector to be put in in a wrong position (doesn’t appear so). That might do real damage to the mainboard, batteries, or even your house. At least to the fuses on the mainboard.

Inspecting the KS further would require a multimeter. If you don’t have one, I’d tackle the MCM5 first.

On to YouTube!

Thank you so much guys! I've been wondering for a while if Jason is handling repairs, I figured no because it was too good to be true. And thanks for confirming its not the plug. But the mystery deepens. Honestly I'd rather have the Gotway up and running again for the speed.

• 1 year later...
On 11/25/2019 at 11:55 PM, Andrew Blewett said:

Thank you so much guys! I've been wondering for a while if Jason is handling repairs, I figured no because it was too good to be true. And thanks for confirming its not the plug. But the mystery deepens. Honestly I'd rather have the Gotway up and running again for the speed.

How did your repair work turn out? I just got a 14D and it's not charging. I have an MTEN power supply, which is the same one used on the 14D. The LED is GREEN and stays GREEN when I plug it into the 14D. When I connect the charger to my MTEN3, the LED turns RED to indicate it's charging, so there's no issue with the charger. Any tips on how to fix the 14D not charging is much appreciated. TIA!

18 hours ago, Tan Ho said:

How did your repair work turn out? I just got a 14D and it's not charging. I have an MTEN power supply, which is the same one used on the 14D. The LED is GREEN and stays GREEN when I plug it into the 14D. When I connect the charger to my MTEN3, the LED turns RED to indicate it's charging, so there's no issue with the charger. Any tips on how to fix the 14D not charging is much appreciated. TIA!

Are you absolutely sure that the Mten charger has the same voltage (67.2V) and pinout?

If the charger is of a correct type, what is the current voltage on your 14D?