Very Cold weather battery and riding.

WIZARD

I regularly ride at 20* F and it's only November. I figure I'll put socks and a shirt on soon. 🙂

I store and charge inside at typical 68*F temps.

Inspite of getting quite chilly after riding a few miles, my battery temp will still be 80* or 90*F.

Obviously, the battery produces it's own heat and inspite of 20*F cold, plus wind chill on the euc, the battery never ever "gets cold" while riding.

2 Qs:

1. Why do people say there is less distance or miles to be riden on a very cold battery? The battery starts out warm and toasty and then only gets warmer!

2. Doesn't charging a battery (euc) outside in the cold, also warm the battery?

I can only see less battery juice available if you leave it out in the cold and just jump on and hit the gas.

Even then, the lights or app would indicate less charge starting out and you can plan your ride starting with the 70 or 80% available.

Not sure how you measure your battery temp, but after just 3-4 miles at 10-20F, my 320wh batteries get only 6 miles and are close to freezing on the outside. I wrapped them in USPS bubble-wrap envelopes last winter which really helped.

Not sure but you should be extremely attentive about your batteries over heating on a freak warmer day or in spring.

People drill ventilation holes and install Heat Sink to aid in cooling them.

Dont think just in terms winter.

Batt temp is on the phone app.

Settings.

Riding.

4 minutes ago, WIZARD said:

Not sure but you should be extremely attentive about your batteries over heating on a freak warmer day or in spring.

People drill ventilation holes and install Heat Sink to aid in cooling them.

Dont think just in terms winter.

Batt temp is on the phone app.

Settings.

Riding.

I take the bubble wrap off when it warms up. I think the temp reported by the NB app is from the sensor on the control board.

1 hour ago, WIZARD said:

I regularly ride at 20* F and it's only November. I figure I'll put socks and a shirt on soon. 🙂

I store and charge inside at typical 68*F temps.

Inspite of getting quite chilly after riding a few miles, my battery temp will still be 80* or 90*F.

Obviously, the battery produces it's own heat and inspite of 20*F cold, plus wind chill on the euc, the battery never ever "gets cold" while riding.

2 Qs:

1. Why do people say there is less distance or miles to be riden on a very cold battery? The battery starts out warm and toasty and then only gets warmer!

2. Doesn't charging a battery (euc) outside in the cold, also warm the battery?

I can only see less battery juice available if you leave it out in the cold and just jump on and hit the gas.

Even then, the lights or app would indicate less charge starting out and you can plan your ride starting with the 70 or 80% available.

#2: Charging Li-ion batteries when they are near or below freezing temps is a sure way to kill them quickly.

12 hours ago, Aneta said:

#2: Charging Li-ion batteries when they are near or below freezing temps is a sure way to kill them quickly.

Darn, I'm not supposed to charge them all night, overnight, in the snow???!!  Go figure! :efee612b4b:

• Like 1