Flexmeter skid plate improvement?

I recently bought the highly acclaimed Demon Flexmeter Wrist Guards. While I do like them in general, I immediately noticed that the skid plates are attached by velcro, so that they can be taken off for wearing under gloves. But what shocked me was that the velcro was merely sewed onto some soft fabric underneath that easily moves around. So I can imagine that on impact this soft fabric can easily be torn and the skid plates will be gone in an instant!

I guess, these wristguards were originally designed for snowboarding - for sliding on ice or packed snow, not for sliding on asphalt or concrete. So, I wonder if anyone noticed the same issue and did some DIY to attach skid plates in such a way that they will stay put on impact and perform their duty?

I wear my flexmeters " over" full finger thin leather gloves.Saves fingers being shredded and gives plenty of protection.Now if only they can incorporate a glove in them flexmeters and some fingertip gelpads so i can use my phone !

On 10/31/2019 at 12:30 AM, Aneta said:

But what shocked me was that the velcro was merely sewed onto some soft fabric underneath that easily moves around. So I can imagine that on impact this soft fabric can easily be torn and the skid plates will be gone in an instant!

FYI,

Had a couple instances to test out the skid plates on my Flexmeters, and the skid plates stayed put. The skid plates have scratches and I ground the paint off some of the rivets. 

41 minutes ago, Daley1 said:

I wear my flexmeters " over" full finger thin leather gloves.Saves fingers being shredded and gives plenty of protection.Now if only they can incorporate a glove in them flexmeters and some fingertip gelpads so i can use my phone !

What if you take a glove, cut off the part that's under Flexmeters, and glue or sew the remaining part? I was thinking about doing something like this. For now, I just wear gloves under FM.

4 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

FYI,

Had a couple instances to test out the skid plates on my Flexmeters, and the skid plates stayed put. The skid plates have scratches and I ground the paint off some of the rivets. 

Thanks for the datapoint. I guess the skid plates are slippery enough that they may stay put on some surfaces. However, I remember reading - and not just once - on this site that some riders had lost their skid pads on impact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aneta said:

However, I remember reading - and not just once - on this site that some riders had lost their skid pads on impact.

There is plastic and 3DO material under the area where the skid plate is, so you're still protected. If you lost the skid plate, it would damage the fabric I guess.