Nikola+ with wood, leather, carbon trim

greentung

• 4 months later...
On 9/26/2019 at 5:47 PM, greentung said:

Per @Rywokast suggestion, I removed the wood wrap along the edge. I looked into moving the volt meter display to the top. However, it will involves tearing down the wheel further to access the front panel and rerouting the wires. I decided to wait until I have to do a full teardown. Eg., replacing the tire or some other major work on the wheel. Another mod I'd like to try is replacing the GW light in the back of the Nikola with 'UW' or my initials. It looks like a plastic cutout. But won't know for sure without tearing it down.  

nikola_wood_trim1.thumb.jpg.5b8658e38ebd386d8e6337558ea6a9af.jpgnikola_wood_trim2.thumb.jpg.1954a76ba4263200d3074fab4e5cde53.jpg

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm about to try wrapping my new Nikola and this is absolutely beautiful!

Did you remove the side panels to wrap them? Or just wrap them while on the wheel?

Did you end up putting anything on the edge of the vinyl where it meets the LEDS to keep it in place, or has it been okay by itself?

Any tips for cleanly wrapping the Nikola (and MCM5 if you did that one as well)?

Sorry for the million questions. I just got a sweet iridescent vinyl and I really want to put it on well.

39 minutes ago, Cory Brown said:

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm about to try wrapping my new Nikola and this is absolutely beautiful!

Did you remove the side panels to wrap them? Or just wrap them while on the wheel?

Did you end up putting anything on the edge of the vinyl where it meets the LEDS to keep it in place, or has it been okay by itself?

Any tips for cleanly wrapping the Nikola (and MCM5 if you did that one as well)?

Sorry for the million questions. I just got a sweet iridescent vinyl and I really want to put it on well.

Hi. I removed the side panels and wrapped it 1/2 " past behind the shell. Based on comments from other forum members, I removed the wrap from behind the shell and cut out a strip along the outer edge to expose the LED strip lights. Even if you don't intend to wrap behind the shell you still need to take it off to wrap past the pedal mount.  

I initially used a strip of carbon fiber looking tape to tape the edge between the LED and vinyl. But, I didn't need to. The vinyl held just fine. It's handled pouring rain, mud, and hitting pavement once. 

I suggest starting from the middle of the shell where it is mostly flat and working out to the edge. Don't be afraid of making mistakes. A little heat from a heat gun or hair dryer will allow you to redo troublesome spots. Find a way to keep the shell from moving will make the install faster. Either have someone hold it for you or clamp it down. You really need four hands or monkey like dexterous feet; one to hold the dryer, one to secure the shell, and two to stretch.

Having never worked with vinyl before it took me two attempts before I gained enough proficiency to wrap the two wheels. Fortunately, vinyl wraps are fairly cheap.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your work.    

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 11:08 AM, greentung said:

I 'spruced' up my Nikola+ with wood and carbon fiber wrap. The padding is adhesive backed leather. Not only does it look more elegant but now handles like an Oldsmobile. :)

A question I have for the forum is whether I should cut channels for the LED lights and voltage display. I currently use neither. I have the LED set to off and never really check on voltage. I also think cutting out slots for the LED strip will kind of ruin the wood shell effect. I would have to edge it with black tape to keep the wood vinyl in place. What do you guys think? Keep as is? Thanks.

Material:

3M marine teak woodgrain flex wrap

3M 1080 black carbon fiber flex wrap

Besego leather repair patch

nikola_wood.thumb.jpg.6f062182d263c4e0bdf0ff6a2d665361.jpg

nikola_wood3.thumb.jpg.43995a1626a798e1fde3612f41808940.jpgnikola_wood2.thumb.jpg.0c7b76ccb1d50a6836fb310a2a345258.jpg

nikola_wood4.thumb.jpg.bfb18635a61b45a78ff1475dbb14a74b.jpg

Could you post this in the vinyl wrap thread please....this thing is amazing 

Edited by General Principle