Mosfet upgrade

roghaj

I have a Gotway V3 that just fried a Fet.  I can put the same sort of IRFB3207 back in there, but I'd rather upgrade.  I don't have any problem changing the FETs but I lack the understanding necessary to select a superior FET.

So should I just buy 12 IRFB3207 FETs or is there a benefit to an upgrade.    

Thanks

-Roger in Anaheim CA

9 hours ago, roghaj said:

I have a Gotway V3 that just fried a Fet.  I can put the same sort of IRFB3207 back in there, but I'd rather upgrade.  I don't have any problem changing the FETs but I lack the understanding necessary to select a superior FET.

So should I just buy 12 IRFB3207 FETs or is there a benefit to an upgrade.    

Seems to be fine. If there is place, upgrading to a mosfet in a to 247 package could improve the thermal situation.

The electrical insulation and thermal "connectivity" is imho a main point to look at and seems to improvable. 

There are links to videos with a test of different materials to mount the mosfets:

Beside the thermal and electric limits the choosen mosfet needs switching characteristics/gate capacities so that he can be switched fast and clean by the gate drivers.

Btw: there are chances, that not only the mosfet died...

Yeah, I removed the fets and there is some level of continuity between the gate and the drain pads on the naked board.  I doubt I can find the cause.  :(

I am having trouble finding a replacement board.  They say it is a discontinued item.  can I buy a board from another gotway product and make it work?  It was a 64V battery if I recall correctly.  

50 minutes ago, roghaj said:

Yeah, I removed the fets and there is some level of continuity between the gate and the drain pads on the naked board.  I doubt I can find the cause.  :(

Which could but does not have to mean that the gate drivers died, too - it's a wanted defined "start up" state that gate and source of the mosfets are "connected", so Drain-Soruce is not conducting!