Potential Collision(s)

gon2fast

I have a had a few run ins with cars and pedestrians, but nothing that I have not been able to adapt to. Bicyclist are on another level though. I almost collided with a guy on a mountain bike earlier today approaching a semi - blind corner on one of my local paths. I was going at a rate of speed where I could stop, but the bicyclist was going too fast to react and decided to try and plow through me. I am not a little guy so I stood my ground after stopping which caused the bicyclist to veer off of the path. no crash or anything, but it was all my fault and I should not be on the "pedestrian" path with a scooter...

At this point in time the bicyclist is very angry and is coming towards me in a very aggressive manner. I suggested that he pause and look at the situation from a different perspective. I also pointed out that he was riding his bike on the "pedestrian" path at a rate of speed that he could not safely stop at. Valid point, but it was still me and my stupid scooters fault.

I walked away from the situation before it escalated further, but this was not the first time that I came across a bicyclist riding too fast on paths in my neighborhood. 

Any similar experiences?

• Like 1

No confrontations like that, but I do around half of my riding on multi-use paths where pedestrians (often with dogs or strollers) and cyclists are very common.  I have had more than a few cyclists behaving badly and many pedestrians who are oblivious to the fact that there are other people on the paths, some on bikes or EUCs :)  Some folks around here must be from the UK, as they seem to think they should be walking or riding on the left hand side.  And then there are the people who just like to take their half out of the middle.   Given all this, I've adapted to slow way down whenever I'm coming up on blind corners or underpasses.  If there are other folks around, I typically just take it really easy, since technically I don't think EUCs are allowed on our bike paths.

Edited by 2 Drinks Behind

Had few counters with people walking dogs and some of them dont like my king song singing. When i see that possibility to hit something (child, adult, dog, etc) i slow to crawl and give signal. Usually ppl take actions to give room to overtake and then apologise with thank you. Cars and headphones are little hard so i signal closer. This is what i use for signal http://www.thinkbiologic.com/products/blast-airhorn

Used bike bell but no reaction so when it is loud as train coming ppl will react.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 1:51 AM, gon2fast said:

At this point in time the bicyclist is very angry and is coming towards me in a very aggressive manner. I suggested that he pause and look at the situation from a different perspective. I also pointed out that he was riding his bike on the "pedestrian" path at a rate of speed that he could not safely stop at. Valid point, but it was still me and my stupid scooters fault

People, however big shit they just did, very rarely admit mistakes on the spot. But hopefully that guy has some survival instincts still functioning, so the next time he'll be a little more reasonable while speeding.

I approach every blind-spot ready to brake hard.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into a pedestrian the other day, I was riding on the sidewalk slowly approaching another street on the right, just before that street I slowed down to almost a stand still since I was unable to predict if their would be a pedestrian coming from the right , and yep.. the guy was wearing a hoody and looking at the ground (mobile phone) when he turned towards me, walking into me.. luckily I almost at a stand still, not hurting him nor me.. I apologised, only to realise afterwords that I was paying attention but he wasn't ..

I think as a EUC rider we should be very attentive, pedestrians feel very safe and hence are not always taking part of the defensive mechanism that other people use during their transport, for instances riding bikes , steps, cars, euc's..

and it in most cases it doesn't matter who's right or wrong if their are injuries everybody loses..