How do I tell my MSX battery size?

I bought a used MSX 84v with less than 500 miles from a really nice guy who was desperate to sell. I'm very happy with the wheel and the purchase price (no matter the battery size), but for the life of me I don't know how to tell whether I got the 1600wh or the 1230wh battery.

Is there a serial number or some number on the unit to decode?

Or would I be able to tell by my riding? I weigh 210lbs and I went for a 20 mile ride yesterday. The Gotway app showed 80% at the beginning of the ride and by the end it was at 50%. But the app only shows battery level in intervals of 10s. Not sure if that's normal.

The seller had no idea what he had. He didn't know the make or model of what he was selling. He advertised it as a "one wheel".

Edited by Esso

1230Wh is only on the 100V MSX. If your charge port has 4 pins (84V) instead of 5 pins (100V), you will have the 1600Wh.

In theory, other battery sizes are possible for 84V. 1300Wh you can't see unless you look at the sticker on one of the batteries (it would say 650Wh instead of 800Wh). And there's 800Wh and 650Wh (half of the other sizes) where there's only one battery pack on one side instead of two battery packs (one on each side). You can check for that by opening the side panels or looking if the wheel has an imbalance and falls to one side if held vertical.

I wonder if the wheel was stolen if he didn't know what it was...

The Gotway app sucks. Use Wheellog (Android) or Darknessbot (iOS) for a finer battery level.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I wonder if the wheel was stolen if he didn't know what it was...

I was worried about that too, but he seemed legit in person. He rode the wheel very well. He said he got it in a trade for some motorcycle equipment. He was a super nice guy with a normal looking facebook profile. I can't be 100% sure but I didn't get "bad person" vibes from him.

Thanks for the info.