First week learning

Taximan650

Hi Folks,Well I've had my King Song about a week now,but not making much progress with the learning yet.Ive been out and had a go today by holding onto some Railings and walls and managing to go a few feet or so,but just don't seem to be able to let go and try without holding.Cant for the life of me jump on it without holding on to anything yet,just having bad nerves that I'm gonna fall off.Not giving up though as I'm sure it will be great fun,but hope I can make some kind of progress soon,thought I'd be whizzing around on it by now.

Is there anyone in London or Essex that could maybe help me out a bit if I could meet up sometime?Thanks for any help ?

Instead of holding on to railings or walls, have someone assist you by holding hi/her hand without letting go while you slowly learn to balance and lean forward.  You will find that you will gradually develop your balancing skills with this method and It may take several days before you could have the confidence to let go. 

Believe it or not, holding onto a wall to actually get on the wheel (or depending on the wall to be there) might actually stunt your learning. Try to avoid using a stationary object too much to get on the wheel.

Using a wall to learn "throttle" control is good but don't depend on the wall to mount it if you can help it.

Once you're on the wheel, like SlowMo mentioned having mobile support like a friend will help your learning process a lot.

Here's a video that is good to watch because you can see someone actually learning (and eventually get it) in about 2 hours...

Hi! Im new in this forum and read here a lot before buying my Ninebot One and also watched a lot of youtube videos about learning and riding. 

I got my wheel on Sep 18th and tried the first two days getting and standing on it in my apartment. On the following days and bout for a week or so i went to the "Washing room" (Waschraum in german) in our house which is about 10x6 meters. I made not too much progress in the first week too and i could not stay on the wheel for long. 

In the second week I wanted to go bigger and went to the underground parking in our house. After trying a bit i could finally go for more than 10 meters without help. Stepping on the wheel was a bit hard but when I finally got on and had some speed it would work. 

I dont know how, but suddenly i had the balance and it worked. My worst problem now is to get on the wheel when people watching me... 

I've read it a lot and seen it with my son and I.  Keep at it, keep trying.  Two foot rolls, become 5 foot rolls, 5 foot rolls become 3 yards.  Then somewhere in there suddenly you will find it.  I walked next to my son with him putting a hand on my shoulder.  Back and forth, then I notice he was putting less pressure on me.   Just keep at it Taximan.

Hi! Im new in this forum and read here a lot before buying my Ninebot One and also watched a lot of youtube videos about learning and riding.

I got my wheel on Sep 18th and tried the first two days getting and standing on it in my apartment. On the following days and bout for a week or so i went to the "Washing room" (Waschraum in german) in our house which is about 10x6 meters. I made not too much progress in the first week too and i could not stay on the wheel for long.

In the second week I wanted to go bigger and went to the underground parking in our house. After trying a bit i could finally go for more than 10 meters without help. Stepping on the wheel was a bit hard but when I finally got on and had some speed it would work.

I dont know how, but suddenly i had the balance and it worked. My worst problem now is to get on the wheel when people watching me...

Welcome, and great work! It is funny how scrutiny of outside eyes makes balance and gravity work differently..

and by the way, wow you have a big washing room!

but most of all, great work! Have fun with it! and protect your head!

Speaking of protection.  My son had our first high speed shut down yesterday.  One of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a nicer ride like the KS or Gotway.  He said he felt the tilt back then heard the first buzz.  When he heard the wheel say "you are speeding please slow down"  He thought to himself " Damn right that's what I'm trying to do"   He thinks it was about 2 seconds after the voice warning that the wheel stopped.  He picked himself up, walked 5 feet to the front to pick up his glasses, then walked back about 10 yard to where the Wheel stopped.   It must be nice to be 26 and bullet proof.  I gave him a brace for his sore wrist.  When I feel the tilt back I just slow down.

Hi All, 

So my first EUC arrived last Friday (Boy that was a long wait!), a new TG F3, which looked like a decent beginners wheel. I have been really pleased with my learning curve and wanted to share it.

Friday - Having read and watched all I could about learning to ride, I heard differing opinions about the training wheels. I decided that just to get the feel of the wheel moving back and forward and controlling that, I would use them for a little while. After about 20 mins, I could ride back and forwards for about 50ft and balance without the training wheels touching the ground. I then took them off and, still using the strap, started to carefully ride around without them. I worked on turning, which was tricky and mounting the wheel without something to grab a hold of was still impossible, but within an hour or so I could ride around the alley behind our business and do laps. I did have a fall at one point when I hit the speed limiter and experienced tilt-back. I found it hard to correct it and eventually fell forward. Happily I had bought knee, elbow and wrist pads. The wrist pads got scratched up (but did their job admirably!) but the right elbow pad wasn't quite on right and I took a scrape there. I did learn my lesson though and figured out how to deal with (or how NOT to deal with!) tilt-back!

Saturday - I experienced what everyone else seemed to; Sore shins!! I bought some soccer shin-guards which really helped. This day I went to a local park with a quiet loop road and managed to stay on for a mile or so each time. Mounting without anything to hold on to was still difficult, but as the day went on I managed to sort-of get a hold of it. I guess I rode about 2 miles.

Sunday - I went to a different part with an exercise loop and managed two laps of that, doing 3.8 miles! Despite having somewhat mastered mounting the wheel the day before, doing so in front of curious people proved to be difficult! Finally I managed it and had a great ride. I stopped because my feet were feeling tingly (anyone else experience this in the beginning?) and took it home to charge it (although I had only used about 1/4). Later in the day I decided to go for another ride and see where that took me. Now with a pgs workout app, I was surprised to see that I easily managed 6.5 miles and all without incident!

Tuesday -I rode to work, about 3 miles. Still using the strap, mainly to help mount the wheel and to save the wheel if I had to step off it. On my ride home, I took a longer route (about 4 miles) and rode all the way without needing to hop off it and also without the strap!

I'm really enjoying the wheel and only wish I bought it earlier in the season so that I'd have more time to ride it!! 

Ooh I like that video - she looks like Revy from the show Black Lagoon.  She just needs a pair of silver Berettas, but I digress.  If she is the same person on another video she is seen riding on one foot on an Inmotion V3 - hey even I can't do that!  I might have to put my mind to it and learn to ride one footed!

I taught a friend of mine how to ride and it took her about 45 minutes total in 2 sessions I believe it was.  Much later I taught another friend who learned it in even less time, maybe 30 mins total in two sessions.  I was very surprised.  I taught myself and I took a very long time.  I can now believe claims that it can be learned in as short a time as 20 mins.

This is how I taught my friend (this is not the best nor the fastest way but it did work).

1) I have them mount the wheel any way they can next to a wall or post.  It helps if you show them how to do it by doing it yourself - if you have a real life instructor it can give a lot of confidence because they see someone really mounting and riding in real life right in front of them (in any situation) and not just on video.  For example when I mount I tip the wheel pretty far on its side so the wheel is not vertical at all and that's how I get on - an observant learner will notice this and will copy.

2) Once standing on the pedals with both feet holding onto a wall, I have them wheel forward and back in place (I tell them do this 50 times).  What this does is it acclimatizes the person to be standing on the wheel and have it moving (in place) and at the same time they are learning how to propel it forward and backward (which is how you go and stop).  The brain you see needs time to adjust to a new way of doing things and simply by doing this for a while, for a few minutes, even for just a little bit, it is enough for the brain to get used to the feeling.  Even when you have learned how to ride this is still a good exercise to do for a minute to get "situated" on the wheel before riding off.

3) Now after getting the feel of the wheel I have them let go of the wall to ride a short distance hands free along the wall for three feet, five feet, then stop and hang on to the wall again.  This begins to build confidence being on top of the wheel and rolling hands free with it.  This version of training is not the fastest but it builds confidence.  Hold on to the wall and push off to roll a few feet - we were at a school outdoor hallway and there were pillars maybe ten feet apart and she would roll from pillar to pillar.

4) On their own usually they'll want to ride hands free for longer distances - this is really where you learn how to "ride" on top of the wheel although you can't mount yet.  Again this is for confidence.  Remember though when they fall (i.e. they "step off") they cannot get back on without going to a wall or a post to get back on.  Next step is mounting.

5) At this point I have them try to learn how to mount.  The idea is that when they successfully get "on" the wheel, there is a good chance they can stay on for some distance (maybe riding as short as 3 feet) because they already learned how to "ride" in the previous step.  Hands free mounting is crucial.  You cannot be a rider if you can't dismount and thus re-mount at any time.  How to mount example - this is how I do it - I am right-foot dominant so I step on the right pedal with right foot and I am tipping the wheel left by like a lot when I do this.  I hold the wheel tipped (leaning left) like this and then I push off with my left foot while putting my weight on the right foot and this will tip the wheel vertical - in that short time it takes the wheel to become vertical I step on with my left foot.  So it's - standing, push, roll, step on.  While the wheel is straightening I must place my left foot on the left pedal and then when both feet are placed you're mounted - at this point you already know how to lean forward to go and to catch yourself from falling and to balance when you start to veer off to one side.  After mounting successfully two or three times you may call yourself a wheel rider!

Additional notes - you should do all of this slowly, safely and deliberately.  Take your time.  Use your arms for balance when you're hands-free.  When leaning against anything, remember that this is detrimental to learning because you're relying on the wall or post and not on your own legs - remember to focus your consciousness to the bottom of your feet or to the bottom patch of the rubber tire that is touching the ground - when you focus like this you are correctly learning how to rely on your own body to balance (this means NOT focusing on your hands leaning against a wall.  Your weight on your hands on the wall is bad - your weight on your legs and feet is good) this is how your brain will learn.  You already know how to stand, to walk, maybe ride a bike so you can learn this naturally as well (it's your brain that has to learn it, give it time).  Usually you need a few days so that your brain can get some sleep and to process this new way of balancing and awaken anew.  Okay now after successfully mounting a few times you will probably find later that you are having a hard time for some reason.  Don't worry, your brain still needs more time (to reroute neurons) - you can try step 2 above again balancing back and forth in place.  Take your time and carefully try to mount again - it is not something that you can rush.  It will become natural in time.  Now ride as much as you can.  It will be all training and fun.  I suggest wrist guards so that when you fall or if you fall and catch yourself you won't sprain your wrists.  Jump off when you get in trouble but stay away from the wheel as it falls because it can spin in place and with powerful torque it can spin those metal pedals to hit your ankle really hard - it can be really bad.

Advanced stuff?  After you've ridden 15,000 hours (wait, what is that number again?)  After 6-12 months of riding weekly you will find that feet position doesn't matter anymore.  After a while I started placing my feet in the "wrong" positions and after a few seconds you get used to it and can ride.  Some positions are more difficult but your body will adjust - sometimes your hips will have to take over to balance, sometimes your knees, maybe your whole body.  Once your brain has truly learned how to ride it won't matter - you might be able to ride doing a handstand on the pedals, you might be able to stand on top of the wheel not on the pedals at all and ride (how is this possible?  It's because you don't even have to be on the pedals to ride it means feet position on the pedals aren't all that critical.  If you haven't ridden your 150 hours yet and you are getting a wobble for example, just move one of your feet a half inch forward and the wobble will go away - this is because moving your foot forward means more weight goes on your heel and riding on your heels you can't possibly wobble (unless your knees are wobbling, but then lock your knees  =)

What didn't I cover?

I think the one thing that helped me with my starts was just taking notice.  That's sounds funny but it worked.  I was using a pickup truck to start.  When I decide to stop, I slowed and step down.  It was a sweet dismount.  A clean stop with no bounce....almost like I knew what I was doing.  That was when I took notice, where my feet were at, how my knees were bent, how I was standing.   I then stepped back on the wheel.  It was a smooth start.  That is my "starting position" every time now.  Does it work every time?  No, but I am still a Newbie.  I can say I've stopped counting after 57 unassisted starts. B)

Archived