Gotway 800Wh battery swap

The adapter arrived a day early but late in the day. I just finished my work in the shop, rode the wheel and am charging now. So a quick head's up for the ones that are waiting for me to give the go-ahead on the adapter. Well, these connectors Gotway uses are definitely not JST connectors. Whatever they are using is twice as thick, so the adapter does not fit. I used them anyway by cutting off the JST part and the whatever connector on the Gotway battery side to solder on the XT30 connector. 

If and when you do this, be extremely careful as this wire pair is carrying the full voltage of the battery. Work on one wire at the time, making sure that you do not accidentally short the battery. Your face is less than a foot away while you work on this, so there just cannot be any oops happening!

The rest of that swap worked fine though. Once you have this XT30 problem solved the batteries will work just fine. 

Edited by MacPara
  • Upvote 1

And the connector, one needs to make an adapter, is an SM2P connector. Aliexpress has pigtails to use for that purpose, Amazon as well. Couldn't find a ready-made adapter though.

Would there be interest in me making a few adapter cables and making them available for people who do not solder? I have no idea how many would go the upgrade route and want to swap their batteries from older Gotway wheels to the next gen versions that seem to come out now....

Edited by MacPara