3 months with my first EUC: no bad falls and loving the speed & range!

Jimmy Chang

26 minutes ago, Graniteone said:

That was a good spring storm for sure. Great video, looks like you are getting dialed on your EUC. 

It was a good one. What do you ride and where do you like to ride in Golden? I have yet to see an EUC in the wild here in south Denver.

47 minutes ago, Graniteone said:

Tomorrow my OneWheel XR arrives, my KS18XL arrives in about a week from eWheels. Never ridden either. I am all in! Looks like a lot of places to roll  in and around Golden.  

Wow! Enjoy and keep me posted with how it goes!

7 hours ago, Graniteone said:

Tomorrow my OneWheel XR arrives, my KS18XL arrives in about a week from eWheels. Never ridden either.

Wow, you went all out! 

As it turns out, I'm going to have the exact same setup by mid next week! I have a KS18xl which is the "learning wheel" I got about three weeks ago. My daughter wanted to go on rides with me. But I think she found the EUC's to be a bit intimidating. I've got about 8'ish hours on my 18xl, and loving it. I can get on now, no problem and cruise at around at 35kph. Speeding around twisting bike lanes is a blast. The wheel has so much power. I'm sure you'll love it.

But I also really want to try the OneWheel, so I'll definitely be giving it a go as well. Looks like fun!

You've probably been reading the "Learning to Ride - Understanding the Dynamics" thread on this forum. Great information there. My only suggestion for learning on such a big wheel is get yourself a good pair of boots, like some 8" work boots or calf length motorcycle boots. While you are just learning, it's easy to lose your balance and step in front of the wheel. Then the pedal can come and whack you in the ankle or shin area. The 18xl is a beast. If you get nailed by the pedal there is 53 pounds of weight behind it. Hiking boots are not nearly tall enough. (With a little experience the ankle thing will cease to be an issue.)

(The boots are in addition to the other body armor: helmet, wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads. It's good to armor up when starting out, so any mishaps are no big deal.)

Give them a try and maybe we can compare notes. 

Edited by erk1024
clarification

10 hours ago, erk1024 said:

Wow, you went all out! 

As it turns out, I'm going to have the exact same setup by mid next week! I have a KS18xl which is the "learning wheel" I got about three weeks ago. My daughter wanted to go on rides with me. But I think she found the EUC's to be a bit intimidating. I've got about 8'ish hours on my 18xl, and loving it. I can get on now, no problem and cruise at around at 35kph. Speeding around twisting bike lanes is a blast. The wheel has so much power. I'm sure you'll love it.

But I also really want to try the OneWheel, so I'll definitely be giving it a go as well. Looks like fun!

You've probably been reading the "Learning to Ride - Understanding the Dynamics" thread on this forum. Great information there. My only suggestion for learning on such a big wheel is get yourself a good pair of boots, like some 8" work boots or calf length motorcycle boots. While you are just learning, it's easy to lose your balance and step in front of the wheel. Then the pedal can come and whack you in the ankle or shin area. The 18xl is a beast. If you get nailed by the pedal there is 53 pounds of weight behind it. Hiking boots are not nearly tall enough. (With a little experience the ankle thing will cease to be an issue.)

(The boots are in addition to the other body armor: helmet, wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads. It's good to armor up when starting out, so any mishaps are no big deal.)

Give them a try and maybe we can compare notes. 

I figure if I don’t like either one I can resell them pretty easily and recoup a lot of my investment. I have a ton of protective gear from mountain biking,  motorcycles, skateboarding and snow sports. Good call on the taller boots. I ll be on edge waiting for FedEx to arrive today with my OneWheel. Wife just gave me the heads up she is busy most of the weekend with horse stuff. So, I ll have a chance to really mess around with it without any distractions. 

• Like 1

Nice video. I'm definitely not a fan of mud, so be careful. Mud is my enemy.

Had my EUC in S. CO for past 2 years. Will be back in 3 weeks , but without my EUC (flying in this time). Water levels should be good. :)

4 hours ago, Graniteone said:

I figure if I don’t like either one I can resell them pretty easily and recoup a lot of my investment.

My guess is that they are different enough to be fun in their own right. Kind of like having a sports car and a Jeep. Different experiences and each has value. I guess I'll find out next week sometime. But I think the OneWheel is the better choice for my 16 year old, who is not as gung ho as I am.  

I think the wheel is more of a challenge to learn, but very rewarding when you do. The wheel is definitely a conversation starter. People will stop you and demand to know what it is and how it works. LOL

Edited by erk1024
added text

23 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Nice video. I'm definitely not a fan of mud, so be careful. Mud is my enemy.

Had my EUC in S. CO for past 2 years. Will be back in 3 weeks , but without my EUC (flying in this time). Water levels should be good. :)

Yeah, that mud caught me off guard. Not a fan as well. Did some riding yesterday, things are mostly dry now, but expecting more rain this weekend. At least we should be done with snow for the season.

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2019 at 2:48 PM, Jimmy Chang said:

It was a good one. What do you ride and where do you like to ride in Golden? I have yet to see an EUC in the wild here in south Denver.

I've never seen an EUC "in the wild" anywhere. Been riding in the Highlands Ranch area for a year. Getting ready to order a KS14D for my son's 10th b-day. Can't wait to try it after seeing some reviews-- I've put 600 miles on my Glide3. But mostly looking forward to having someone to ride with. Until now he always takes my wheel and makes me ride his super-loud annoying electric razor scooter.