GoPro Hero7 GPS issue?

eucinsea

I recently picked up a GoPro Hero7 Black to mount to my EUC and record as I am rolling around town. I have to say I am pretty disappointed in this camera, especially the GPS portion of it. I have seen quite a few great videos on YouTube with the overlay GPS speeds which is pretty neat.

My unit even after getting a higher quality SD card (SanDisk Extreme MicroSDXC (UHS-I / V30) A2), re-flashing the firmware, and resetting unit only gets a GPS signal after about 4 minutes of recording. This is ALSO in split videos, ie taking 30 min of footage but GoPro breaks into 8-11 min chunks at 4GB each. So each split has the issue.

Anyone else having issues like this?

Are there better action cameras I should look at? This is my first one ever and all the marketing GoPro does I assumed it was a solid piece of technology. :sadpanda:

That was an interesting video and I agree with him. I am returning my gopro hero7 black to REI tonight.

I just ordered this (https://store.yitechnology.com/collections/action-camera/products/yi-4k-plus-action-camera-with-waterproof-case) for mounting to my EUC, and then will pick up a Insta360 One X in a few weeks.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:14 AM, Esper said:

I find this guy's opinion(s) useful in my tech decisions. I'm sorry you're having issues. I would recommend getting the Insta360 that many forum members use.

Hide contents

I wouldn't listen to that guy. The mic adapter is available on gopro.com.

It is out of stock on some other sites. That can happen from time to time. He might not realize, but this is not a big selling item and there's not a lot of money to be made off of servicing the small percentage of camera buyers who want them. Having excess inventory sitting in the channel is a bad thing for companies. It sometimes takes some iterations to get the balance right.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, prasket said:

I recently picked up a GoPro Hero7 Black to mount to my EUC and record as I am rolling around town. I have to say I am pretty disappointed in this camera, especially the GPS portion of it. I have seen quite a few great videos on YouTube with the overlay GPS speeds which is pretty neat.

My unit even after getting a higher quality SD card (SanDisk Extreme MicroSDXC (UHS-I / V30) A2), re-flashing the firmware, and resetting unit only gets a GPS signal after about 4 minutes of recording. This is ALSO in split videos, ie taking 30 min of footage but GoPro breaks into 8-11 min chunks at 4GB each. So each split has the issue.

Anyone else having issues like this?

Are there better action cameras I should look at? This is my first one ever and all the marketing GoPro does I assumed it was a solid piece of technology. :sadpanda:

I'm sorry you've been having problems with your HERO7 Black. Your camera should GPS lock quicker than that, unless you are in some challenging environment.

Have you contacted customer support?

If you need any assistance, I can make sure your issue is prioritized.

Edited by Jon Stern

Hi @Jon Stern - thanks for chiming in. I never did get much help on the gopro forums, but I did see many others with similar issues. Someone told that I should just wait 4 minutes after turning on my camera for the GPS to start working. That did not sound right to me especially on such an expensive product. I live downtown Seattle and had issues all around Seattle even in the wide open bike trails with nothing above me whatsoever. I have other GPS items like my watch, phone, bicycle computer (which is half the size of GoPro) and no issues with GPS signals. :(

I ended up just returning it to REI and ordered a Yi 4k+ Which came in yesterday and my initial thoughts are pretty positive.

The Yi camera is much quicker to boot up and respond to touches on the screen. I also liked that you have the option in the settings to NOT break your videos up into 4GB segments. :)

The only negative I see so far is no internal application to make quick edits with music. The GoPro app for that wasn't very good anyway crashed multiple times on both Mac and Windows. With just the raw Yi files I can just use OpenShot on my main computer (Linux) which I would rather do anyway. :) Now I just need to get better at using OpenShot to make cool videos with audio tracks. :D