Weight carrying / hill climbing?

DangerousDick

So I'm off to the slopes to fly the Paraglider today and wondering if I can:

1. carry the Ninebot with me in my harness - total weight is still under the limit of the glider I'm currently flying and the additional ballast (14kg?) is sometimes preferable.

2. ride the Ninebot up a steep climb - Winnats Pass in Derbyshire (>28% (1 in 3.5) gradient has caused it to be closed to buses, coaches and vehicles over 7.5 tonnes in weight).

3. ride the Ninebot while carrying my Paraglider rucksack - an additional 20kg approx.

Whatever, the experience will definitely turn heads and be some fun finding out?  I know the bot is perfectly capable of climbing steep roads but with the additional weight loading and duration of climb etc. there's only really one way to make sure!

Weather is looking great over in the UK - makes a nice change! - this weekend, so looking forward to some great outdoor action whatever :D

With eucs the hill climbing ability depends a lot on how fast or slowly you try to climb the hill. Even relatively low powered eucs can manage fairly impressive hills if you are able to ride at a slow enough pace.

You may have to pause on the way up to let it cool down and the battery recover though.

So I'm off to the slopes to fly the Paraglider today and wondering if I can:

1. carry the Ninebot with me in my harness - total weight is still under the limit of the glider I'm currently flying and the additional ballast (14kg?) is sometimes preferable.

2. ride the Ninebot up a steep climb - Winnats Pass in Derbyshire (>28% (1 in 3.5) gradient has caused it to be closed to buses, coaches and vehicles over 7.5 tonnes in weight).

3. ride the Ninebot while carrying my Paraglider rucksack - an additional 20kg approx.

Whatever, the experience will definitely turn heads and be some fun finding out?  I know the bot is perfectly capable of climbing steep roads but with the additional weight loading and duration of climb etc. there's only really one way to make sure!

Weather is looking great over in the UK - makes a nice change! - this weekend, so looking forward to some great outdoor action whatever :D

OK, so busy weekend with a lot of playing around ;) observation results:

1. Yes, I could carry the EUC in the harness although it made it particularly uncomfortable to fly - pressing into my back etc. - and I wouldn't recommend it for any duration!

2. Yes. I could ride my Ninebot E+ with my glider on my back up Winnats Pass - all the way from the landing field, through the pass, down the road the other side to the Cafe at BlueJohn and to the car.  No problem - took the steep ride with  no beeping, or overheating, or any warnings.  Just me with a daft grin and funny looks from many passing motorists :D

3. Yep. bit of an experience but with the glider packed firmly against my back, as long as I didn't 'wiggle' it around, no problem.  Not as easy as if it weren't there of course, but still perfectly acceptable.

I'm sure there was video / pictures etc. but I haven't spotted any appearing as yet?  I was too busy trying not to embarrass myself to think about filming it 'on board'!

Later on at the 'end of season' BBQ I got the EUC out again for a short play - and others wanted to see more! - with a couple of people in attendance having a short go (beer was flowing pretty well!).  The next morning I had a few minutes in the car park - a relatively steep incline on one side - which was interesting turning up and down hill trying to keep a constant speed etc.  All good for the training 'learning' of this relatively new hobby :) now all we need is lighter batteries and it could even catch on with the Paragliding / retrieve members?

Cheers,

Richard.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol thats great. I was doing faster and faster circles on my NB1 nice and tight to replicate my dizzying spiral dives. Glad its not just me having fun.

Would not probably mind ridge soaring with my NB but going XC and possible hard landing could be a worry with the NB on my back.

Archived