War of the Hoverboards

RichieV

http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/the-war-of-the-hoverboards#.ik5230w9R

This article talks about the history behind the patent dispute between Shane Chen of Inventist, who invented the Hovertrax (a type of two-wheeled hoverboard) as well as the Solowheel (arguably the first eWheel), and John Soibatian of IO Hawk, who have their own version of two-wheeled hoverboard for sale. It also touches on both their negative experiences with Chinese business practices, and it talks about billionaire investor Mark Cuban's stake in the game.

I realize there's a board dedicated to the topic of two-wheeled self-balancing scooters, but with big players like Mark Cuban and (recently in the news) Walmart, how things play out with two-wheeled hoverboards will probably affect how eWheels will be sold on a large scale in the U.S. market, so I decided to post it here for discussion and speculation in that regard.  Besides, it's a very interesting read leaving you to decide whose story to believe.

I'd be surprised if these things are hype in a year from now.. I think they arent made for anything everyday life demands. Plus even before reading about the prototype having wheelchair motors, I thought these things are just souped up disabled vehicles.

Archived