Hand signals

who_the

@Lutalo and I discovered in another thread we use a similar hand signal for potholes on group rides, kind of a downward fist pump pointing at the hazard. I figured it might be a good time to share/discuss/compare other hand signals we use here on group rides to see how/if it aligns with what other groups and riders use. Motorcyclists have a set of signals they use for safety and coordination, and we've been using this set of signals for a while now to indicate various situations to following riders, especially when riding with multiple riders or groups.

Fist Up – Stop when I stop, or, do not pass if I am stopped already. Both fists up: urgent stop.

Trucker Pull (like pulling an air horn from the top moving downward) – Clear to roll through, unobstructed intersection or area.

Chicken Wing – Cross traffic or hazard. Use left or right arm to indicate direction.

Downward Fist Pump – Pothole. Use either arm to "point" in direction of the hazard.

I like these because they are easily distinguished from one another and can also be seen at a reasonable distance, unlike holding up fingers or very small motions that might be ambiguous or difficult to see.

I'm also very aggressive about signaling turns and overall intentions, especially when riding in traffic, where vehicles often 1) are staring at you, dumbfounded, and 2) literally have no idea what you intend to do.

2 hours ago, who_the said:

Fist Up – Stop when I stop, or, do not pass if I am stopped already. Both fists up: urgent stop.

Trucker Pull (like pulling an air horn from the top moving downward) – Clear to roll through, unobstructed intersection or area.

Chicken Wing – Cross traffic or hazard. Use left or right arm to indicate direction.

Downward Fist PumpPothole. Use either arm to "point" in direction of the hazard.

Seems like all of our signals are similar:D. Sorry, I am gonna plagiarize a bit by using your explanations verbatim to heighten the small variations. 

1.Open hand up squeeze to fist - Stop when I stop, or, do not pass if I am stopped already. Both fists up: urgent stop.

2. Overhead circles - Clear to roll through, unobstructed intersection or area.

3. Arm swing obliquely up and out to the side from chest ending with palm toward the group - Cross traffic or hazard. Use left or right arm to indicate direction.

4. The Washington Bullet: Forceful quick downward point with index finger extended, and holding the arm in position until passing the wheel dislodging crater - Pothole. Use either arm to "point" in direction of the hazard.

Note: In large groups each motion should initiate a chain reaction effect: repeated by the next rider in line until every rider is aware of any hazard and has safely avoided it. We are all responsible for each other's safety when we ride together. 😉👍 

Archived