Tyre touching the shell

Ednet92

Hi guys, I a (quite) happy new KS-18L owner. 

got 3K+ km on my previous MCM4 and wanted to upgrade to something more serious. 

As far, 400km with it, great experience, engine unstoppable. 

but, got 2 annoying things: trolley not 100% reliable, not often though like while stopping, lift sensor activate and I had a few times to shake the handle or even restart to restore the balance (few times only, take away is that we have to treat it gently - as long as it's disconnected while we're ridding, not a deal breaker, just annoying. 

But there's something more permanent that bother me more is that I've noticed the wheel is not actually centered in the shell, few millimeters more on the right size. and almost close to nothing on the left. and if I start with my left leg the tyre starts to touch with a clear inner bad noise on the shell to rub it. Not nice at all. Goes the same of course with one foot drive on the left. 

One foot is not the usual way of course, but part of the experience. but I can't even start to ride with my left as this "malfunction" is not something you want to reproduce. 

I've tested with 2 friends same 18L, no issue. 

The thing is I've notice that my tyre is not the same. might be a little, too much, wider then. 

What do you think? 

Do you have notice a similar issue?  

Thanks for your feed back !

Happy ride! 

2 picture of my tyre close to no space on the left

and tyre of my friend's wheel with room on both sides

b66c0f27-157a-4093-ae63-5664ae5d6743.thumb.jpg.de0efbffc237ce991942a0e91e86c12b.jpg

IMG_5820.jpg

IMG_5821.jpg

I experience the same 2 issues as you, and my wheel is not even first batch (20180707).

The tyre scrapping on one side when starting or doing one foot is a frustration to me at this price tag. Still hesitant to send it back as I am pretty sure they can’t do anything about it except removing some plastic from the shell...

thanks for your input . 

@em1barns same like you I kind of doubt they can fix this and KS will be reluctant to change with a new wheel obviously. As you can see on the picture the "sculpture" of the tyre are not the same. after a quick check with my friend my tyre appears a little wider therefore it's almost touching the shell. 

I guess that sending it back (I already contact the shop and they're waiting of the KS representant to come back from hollidays... ) they'll might change the tyre. 

but for a new wheel at this price tag, I'm not fond of this approach, tear down, trying a new tyre that only might be a little thiner etc... what will be the evolution as the wheel is getting more KM/years 

bigger picture of my tyre

IMG_5822.thumb.jpg.8518773ba05fbfa8970b421778a735a7.jpg

34 minutes ago, Ednet92 said:

thanks for your input . 

@em1barns same like you I kind of doubt they can fix this and KS will be reluctant to change with a new wheel obviously. As you can see on the picture the "sculpture" of the tyre are not the same. after a quick check with my friend my tyre appears a little wider therefore it's almost touching the shell. 

I guess that sending it back (I already contact the shop and they're waiting of the KS representant to come back from hollidays... ) they'll might change the tyre. 

but for a new wheel at this price tag, I'm not fond of this approach, tear down, trying a new tyre that only might be a little thiner etc... what will be the evolution as the wheel is getting more KM/years 

bigger picture of my tyre

IMG_5822.thumb.jpg.8518773ba05fbfa8970b421778a735a7.jpg

On my side, I have the same tyre as your friend, and experience the same issue, so KS did not allow for enough clearance tolerance in their build.

I suspect centering properly the tyre is down to the axle or tightening of the pedals to the axle, so not trivial if possible at all to fix.

Archived