Thunderstorms

Yesterday evening on my way back home from the convenience store I was running into a huge thunderstorm ⛈ with flashes of lightning ⛈ that had almost scared ? me if I would be afraid of ? death. But at least it made me wondering, what is the best way to protect yourself on an EUC, when you run into a thunderstorm? Cars and modern tents are faraday cages, but it is different with ? surfboards. People have died! So I was wondering what’s the story with EUCs. Can they be hit by a stroke of lightning ? when riding fast through open territory? Is there any difference, whether you are on food or on an EUC?

Does anybody have any data or information on this topic? Any comments whould be highly appreciated and could be potentially lifesaving!

Or a little bit more realistic:

Do we need to worry about this, when riding an EUC?

I have only been surprised once by a thunderstorm. On the Gulf of Bothnia on my windsurfing board. Then I put the sail and the mast into the water and sat down on the board a while to wait for everything to go past.
I also know four people who were killed by the flash. What everyone had in common was that they were close to a metal object that the flash could continue through to the ground. Rubber material usually prevents this to happen.
So the best way to protect yourself is to download an app that shows the weather in real time. My app shows the cloud formations and in what direction the thunder will move in a period of two hours. So the app is a good insurance.

5 hours ago, dismason said:

I have only been surprised once by a thunderstorm. On the Gulf of Bothnia on my windsurfing board. Then I put the sail and the mast into the water and sat down on the board a while to wait for everything to go past.
I also know four people who were killed by the flash. What everyone had in common was that they were close to a metal object that the flash could continue through to the ground. Rubber material usually prevents this to happen.
So the best way to protect yourself is to download an app that shows the weather in real time. My app shows the cloud formations and in what direction the thunder will move in a period of two hours. So the app is a good insurance.

Thank you for sharing. ? What’s the name of this app?

4 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Thank you for sharing. ? What’s the name of this app?

Usually, services are used locally. The app I'm using only applies to Finland, but here's one that seems to work well in Japan too (Google Play (use App Store for iPhone)): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chanel.weather.forecast.accu.pro 
PS. The advantage of paying for an app is that you do not have any advertising in it.

The fact that you are on a rubber tyre (keeping you separate from the ground) and that most of the wheel is plastic, should assist in your level of insulation.

The other thing to do would be to ride next to a taller rider... It won't stop the lightning striking, but...

7 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The fact that you are on a rubber tyre (keeping you separate from the ground) and that most of the wheel is plastic, should assist in your level of insulation.

The other thing to do would be to ride next to a taller rider... It won't stop the lightning striking, but...

Love the black humor! ? ! Unfortunately I don’t know any Fat Unicyclists to ride with me, and my other Japanese friends are all super small size. ? 

Archived