Firmware

jayjay23

My validation of MicroWorks 30km/h motor - I documented on the wiki: https://github.com/generic-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/Motor-MicroWorks-500W-30km-h

---

Motor MicroWorks 500W 30km h

casainho edited this page just now · 3 revisions

This motor is from MicroWorks (https://microworks.en.alibaba.com/) and is advertised as a 500W motor and 30km/h.

The wheel have a 14 inch diameter tire. The perimeter of the wheel is ~1.12 meters (measured with inflated tire and without anyone on top of the EUC).

The generic EUC motor have 48 coils and 44 magnets. It also have 3 hall sensors. For each full rotation, each hall sensor signal will have a transition state of 22.7ms (1s/44 = 0.02272).

When this motor is controlled with the MicroWorks 30B4 controller board, each hall sensor signal have a period of 2.8ms. Since for each 1 rotation per second equals to 4.032km/h (1.12 * 60 * 60) and hall sensor signal is 22.72ms, at the max speed with all sensor signal of 2.8ms, the velocity is 8.11 times more (22.72/2.8) and so is 32.7km/h.

Pictures of the motor MicroWorks 500W 30km/h

motor_MicroWorks_500W_30kmh-open.jpg

motor_MicroWorks_500W_30kmh-hall_sensors

motor_MicroWorks_500W_30kmh.jpg

motor_MicroWorks_500W_30kmh-Max_velocity

Edited by electric_vehicle_lover
  • Upvote 2

Good question. I need to add that info.

Battery max charged, wheel on the air and running to max speed the board can do, before it stops. Seems this motor is rated to higher speed and I think the board is controlling the max speed of the motor.

I want to run the motor with EGG firmware and find the max speed it can run.

I'm interested to know how much of the motors power range the EUCs are actually using, if it's only the first 30% or so efficiency might be very low (50%) and only a few hundred watts might actually getting converted into kinetic energy.

Nice to see!!

You know, we now have a flexible DIY and OpenSource design for EUCs (EGG) - the board is the one from MicroWorks that runs the motor at max of 30km/h which is really great!!
If you design an OpenSource board, maybe it can be adopted - and with Opensource firmware like VESC would be perfect :-)

I more or less got it working but couldn't test performance. Isolated gate drivers with floating voltages seems to be the best option. I just need to find a way to isolate voltage sense and I can decouple everything from the power stage. I have to order a PCB for the power section, building it all with wires by hand is too hard every time I fix one part another breaks or sometimes it bursts into flames.

• Upvote 2

Ok this time we are definitely goinf with VESC OpenSource firmware and board!!! The VESC main developer announced a new board version that includes an IMU for EUC application!! <3

More updates, with a MPU9150 this time (a 9-dof IMU). I was planning to order everything as soon as possible, but I just keep adding things 
This hardware should be enough to run e.g. an electric unicycle with just the VESC and no additional PCBs.

Read the full announcement here: http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=149&p=1402#p1396

• Upvote 1

While I am really happy with the idea of VESC 5.0 boards that can work out of box for EUCs, at the same time I am afraid that boards will not works with current battery packs of 60V because VESC board works with lower voltage.
On the other side @lizardmech board is not OpenSource (at least at the same spirit of VESC) and there is no firmware for it.
So, I am reading the VESC firmware in the hope to learn it and FOC - maybe I will continue to use MicroWorks boards and be able to port the FOC part for the MicroWorks boards. Anyway, the future is "open" :-)

@RolluS nice project and thank you for sharing!!!

Right now I am reading and learning VESC firmware: vedder.se/2015/01/vesc-open-source-esc/
I hope to port the FOC motor control of VESC to the MW 30B boards -- and knowing they are used for this kind of skate boards is really nice :-)

Nice to know they have other firmware that works with a different motor and application!! That boards seem good.

• Upvote 1

Thank you. 

I've got a bunch of documentation and a bunch BT applications (I can mail it) from MW for these boards, including an old version of a Gotway app. I then believe UART data are the same than Gotway, as @esaj suggested above?

Then this would be possible:

On 25/12/2015 at 7:41 PM, electric_vehicle_lover said:

@esaj why don't you join us? -- you can buy for cheap the full complete working boards and motor/unicycle. We are gathering a lot of detailed information about the motor and all the components of cheap generic EUC!!

On 25/12/2015 at 8:03 PM, esaj said:

Thanks for the invite, not sure how much of use I'd be though, as I have no experience with the ARM-architecture/toolchain, nor do I have any decent electronics tools (no bench power supply, no oscilloscope... just a cheap multimeter and batteries ;)). Although I do mean to get those some time, so maybe I'll join you later on.

Unfortunatly, I use a 6 pin HC-05 BT module and perhaps I hadn't wired it correctly, but:

HTB1fRRaHFXXXXaZXXXXq6xXFXXXh.jpg

I guess I've recognized the HC-05 module on the MicroWork's PCBA product page

Then maybe the firmware of my board doesn't include serial data for telemetry.

There is the bluetooth header on the board, + it is listed as having bluetooth app available.

For the AT commands, you just connect to the HC-05 with a terminal via a RS232-TTL adapter (FTDI, Arduino...).
The idea was to copy your module parameters, but it's not a problem if you cannot, I will trial and error.

14 hours ago, RolluS said:

Thank you, I've tried this version also...

Would you please give me the AT Parameters?

At least: AT+UART?

http://www.instructables.com/id/AT-command-mode-of-HC-05-Bluetooth-module/step5/AT-commands/

I think the connection parameters may be my problem.

The BT module maybe comes with password protection - like the one used at gotway.

• 2 weeks later...

@esaj

Here are pictures showing the UART signals that goes to serial Bluetooh module and seems that is the information as you described on your thread about your Android app :-)

I hope soon to connect a UART cable to PC and read the values on the terminal. Then I want to make the code for the Arduino to read the value and detect the brake condition to enable the stop tail light on EGG EUC :-)

After I want to port the VESC firmware for this board so all this information is great :-)

2016-06-21 08.37.35 (Medium).jpg

Oscilloscope screenshots:

NewFile1.bmp

NewFile2.bmp

NewFile3.bmp

NewFile0.bmp

• Upvote 1

I just connected the 2 pins to RX and GND on MicroWorks 30B4 board, to the FTDI Arduino programming cable (UART cable) - here is the result:

serial.png

- the baudrate is 115200 bits/s
- example of data stream: 18 5a  5a 5a 5a 55 aa 17 25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 fa 8b 00 01 ff f8 00

So the "18 5a  5a 5a 5a 55 aa" is the START sequence. Next 2 bytes are voltage: 5925 / 100 = 59.25V (the lab power supply is regulated for 60V).

Data were explained by @esaj here:

• Upvote 1

Now I need to use a converter from the 60V battery pack to the 5V for RGB LEDs. I expected to be able to changed the output voltage of the 60V -> 12V module I bought from MicroWorks, but the control IC reference is etched :-( -- anyone can guess what IC is? how can I configure the voltage output and the max current value??

MicroWorks producto site: http://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/converter-DC-60V-to-12V-output_60461417441.html

Pictures I took from the modules I bought:

2016-06-21 13.50.08 (Medium).jpg