Replaced battery, Now only red lights turn on

Tim Koffler

I bought an Airwheel X3 from my neighbor when he upgraded to a Ninebot.  The battery life in the Airwheel just wasn't enough for him.  Come to find out it was a knockoff, which was disappointing but fine, except that I couldn't refer to the manual when Troubleshooting problems because I didn't have one.   Well, last week the battery went bad so I ordered a new one online. When I was replacing it there was a slight 'pop' noise and a believe a small amount of smoke happened around the motherboard of the unit.  I can't see any scorching or burn marks so don't know where the problem is.

The new battery is plugged in, and seems to work, but the motherboard of the unit doesn't appear to be working.  Help.   Where can I take it to get looked at? Or, can someone walk me through how to find out what's wrong?

On a happy note, I had purchased an official Airwheel X8 at the same time, and it just arrived the day that my new battery did.   So, I'm thrilled with the REAL machine!  (but still want to fix my old one)

20150903_160205 (1280x720).jpg

20150903_160239 (1280x720).jpg

20150903_160142 (795x1280).jpg

I don't know enough about electronics to tell you what's wrong with it, but I do know this: if it's a surface-mounted component (you know, those really teeny-tiny ones in your pictures) especially with many legs, replacing it without special tools is going to be really tricky. And of course you'd first have to identify the faulty component in general. If you happen to know anyone who knows a lot about electronics, that could help, otherwise it's probably easier (and maybe cheaper) to order a new mainboard altogether, as I've understood the mainboards for the generics can be had for fairly cheap from Aliexpress, Ebay or similar... Btw, have you asked your neighbor when and where (s)he bought it? Maybe it still has warranty left.

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I asked my neighbor and apparently he bought it through Amazon and when he discovered it was a knockoff tried to get it returned and for whatever reason burnt that bridge with the guy he bought it from.  Good thought, though.

Archived