Cruising through a Crowd - Video...Best Fun!!!

KCo

I live about 45 minutes from downtown Chicago.  I got my EUC on 5/12/15 and recently have driven downtown 4 times for the sole purpose of riding in the crowds.  The video below shows the famous “magnificent mile” of Michigan Avenue.  It’s always crowded and I have such fun weaving in and out of people.  So far, no one has any negative comments and plenty of positive comments/conversations.  The video also captures me going by 6 police officers.  The last 45 seconds shows a steep climb to the parking garage. I was surprised at just how steep I could go up. 

Cruising by people is so fun.  The best thing about riding go karts is passing people.  My brother recently was in a bike riding fund raiser and purposely had his group start last of the 3,000 riders because it feels good to pass the other riders.  When I used to skateboard, carving/leaning into the turns is a great sensation.  The same can be said for riding the flowrider (surf machine).  Carving through the crowd seems to combine all these great feelings.  I used to do this 30 years ago with a skateboard downtown (before it became illegal to skate downtown), but the people would hear you coming, freak out and jump “out of the way” and right into you.  The difference with my wheel is they can’t hear me coming so I can overtake them swiftly and quietly…and safely.  There may be a day when EUC’s become commonplace and people aren’t so enthused about seeing me.  So, I’m enjoying it while I can.   

iframe>

I love my Gotway Mten!  So thankful Gimlet steered me that direction once I said it was just for fun and not commuting purposes.

This definitely gives me more respect for the MTen, or maybe it's just because you ride it well. Good solution with the padding too, what is that?

Lots of fun at about 5:50 where you pass the flock of cops (you can hear one of them say "nice"). Then the lady stops you to explain all her medical problems. You probably cut out 15 minutes there? :D Pretty sure the cops at 8:49 said "nice" as well.

Great to hear you're enjoying the manoeuvrability, I knew you would! They are surprisingly capable wheels and certainly not toys as some would have you believe.

I love the camera angle, think I might try that but I have a feeling you have to be careful in crowds. You could be mistaken for some kind of pervert, even you nearly got an up skirt shot at about 4 minutes in. :) The girl wearing a red skirt. :)

Great vid @KCo.

aww, did you really hit that poor mans bucket?  ;)

LOL, KCo is the first person to 'kick the bucket' riding an electric unicycle!

....you nearly got an up skirt shot at about 4 minutes in. :) The girl wearing a red skirt. :)

@Gimlet, you'll get me into trouble - I had to go back & watch that bit again!:D;)

aww, did you really hit that poor mans bucket?  ;)

that wheel looks tiny, agile and super fun!

I didn't even realize it happened until I was watching the video. Oops!

Were you just holding a selfie stick behind you to take the video?  I really like the angle.

Yup, it's only a few inches off the ground. The first few attempts, I had it angled too far up and it doesn't work if you can't see the street.  

This definitely gives me more respect for the MTen, or maybe it's just because you ride it well. Good solution with the padding too, what is that?

I cut up a styrofoam pool noodle from Walmart ($2.00) and attached it with a large zip tie from the hardware store.  The body of the unit is small, so it helps provide something to rest my leg on when I mount or dismount. I wish I had it the first few days because it also does a great job of protecting the unit during a fall.  

Then the lady stops you to explain all her medical problems. You probably cut out 15 minutes there? :D 

Yes, I cut out about 8 minutes of her chatter.  I knew the police where watching me, so I wanted to give EUC riders a good name by mingling with the common folk. 

Great to hear you're enjoying the manoeuvrability, I knew you would! They are surprisingly capable wheels and certainly not toys as some would have you believe. 

I like it so much, I was mad when the "pinned" thread (Brands with unexpected shutdowns) called Gotways "designed to kill."  Mine doesn't tilt back and I've had no issues.  

...even you nearly got an up skirt shot at about 4 minutes in. :) The girl wearing a red skirt. :)

I didn't even notice it while I was riding, but I'll admit it caught my eye when watching it later.   

I found the removable knee pads that builders use work well. Plus I think they look quite good. The ones I found can be cut down along the deep lines between sections so can be made to fit most wheels and stick on fairly successfully with 3M double sided tape.20150523_224958-1.thumb.jpg.1685b31716f0

• 1 month later...

Hello - I saw this video.  I did the same thing using pool noodles - I also used blue ones.  What I did was use childrens leather belt and threaded it through the hole - I also carved the foam to fit better.  I have a video of it somewhere.  I really liked how it works and it comes right off easily - at first I was trying to attach foam but it wasn't working for me.

Archived