Foot position on your pedals

Ipsiain

What is your desired foot position, in regards to heel/toe over hang ratio?

Inside (at wheel) or outside? (pedal edge)

And angle? ( where are your toes pointing, in/straight/out )

do you change your foot position depending on terrain? Speed? 

Depends on the terrain/route/foot exhaustion:

If it’s mostly flat and straight I like to center my heels on the unit and point my feet straight ahead so a I can stand straight up, that positions is very comfortable on your legs and feet but! makes it harder to stop and stay on if there are a lot of bumps.

If I’m expecting a lot of turns with on good quality road I will align the center of the unit with the arches of my feet and points in a V shape, squeezing the unit between my heels . I find it easier to dig in my heels to make right and comfortable turns. It also feels a bit more natural.

For a route with lots of bumps, cracks and gaps I will point my feet straight ahead and align the center of the unit with my arches, squeezing the unit between my calves. The higher hold provides the most reliable stability and reaction time for any situation. It is harder on the legs and feet though.

keep in mind I am a novice and am still figuring out the most efficient way to ride :) good question OP.

Very imformative. Im used to just planting my feet and keeping in the same position untill i stop and get back on, usually i can’t get the exact same position and it feels better or worse to ride. The further forward i put my feet the easier it is on my calf’s and perhaps i can ride a bit smoother at speed, but it feels unusual to me

14 hours ago, Ipsiain said:

Very imformative. Im used to just planting my feet and keeping in the same position untill i stop and get back on, usually i can’t get the exact same position and it feels better or worse to ride. The further forward i put my feet the easier it is on my calf’s and perhaps i can ride a bit smoother at speed, but it feels unusual to me

Your legs will also just get used to it over time. Just make sure you take breaks every 10-15minutes. Eventually you won’t even notice the discomfort.

PS. If you find it abnormally painful or uncomfortable, you may want to make an appointment with an orthopedist and have them check your feet out.

I can ride for a good 40 or so minutes depending on where my feet are positioned. Its just the further back my feet are the more i have to use my toes for pressure, hence the calf strain. I guess one could call it exorcise 

I reposition my feet nearly constantly, shifting weight from foot to foot and changing the pressure points, angle and direction as I ride. I average 15-20 miles a day and have ridden as many as 71 miles in a day. My feet never hurt, ever. Ride a ton and keep things moving. 

Archived