GT16 beeps and tilt backs

Hello,

In couple of weeks I'm going for GT16 as an upgrade for my Segway Ninebot S2, which has over 2 000 km now. Even though, I'm usually pushing at top speed, I got used to ride only with my wrist protectors. As for the GT16 I have actually bought a sturdy scooter type helmet (no chin, but with the glass that could be pulled in and out) and the thin foam knee protectors (for dirt bikers) that go hard on inpact. Just in case I would encounter some sudden cut off, which has never occured to me with the Ninebot and makes me a little bit scared, as it's Rockwheel, you know. Yet I haven't actually found any post that would suggest these actually happen with the Rockwheel.

One thing that still bothers me is possible overcharge. As I actually live almost at the very top of the city. My ride always starts as a downhill ride. Not the whole time though, more like 30 meters steep, then 200 meters flat and so forth. Never thought about it with Ninebot and never had a single problem. Yet in other post here I read, when the beep from overcharge happens, you have to stop like RIGHT NOW, or faceplant is inevitable. Is there also a TILT BACK for every type of beep, including overcharging? With my new helmet I'm not 100% sure I would always hear the beep. And the added noise from the traffic wouldn't help it either.

I'm going for the 858Wh from the Rockwheel Store at Ali. The description is a bit outdated since it's talking about 60V vs 80V, but it actually seem both to be 84V and only difference is battery capacity. So I hope, buying the cheeper one does not go with the extra overheating as the description suggests since it's actually talking about 60V. Also it's hard for me to distinguish V2 from V1. I hope it's already only V2 their selling. With all the beeps and tilt backs in place ?

17 hours ago, SaiXHardt said:

Hello,

In couple of weeks I'm going for GT16 as an upgrade for my Segway Ninebot S2, which has over 2 000 km now. Even though, I'm usually pushing at top speed, I got used to ride only with my wrist protectors. As for the GT16 I have actually bought a sturdy scooter type helmet (no chin, but with the glass that could be pulled in and out) and the thin foam knee protectors (for dirt bikers) that go hard on inpact. Just in case I would encounter some sudden cut off, which has never occured to me with the Ninebot and makes me a little bit scared, as it's Rockwheel, you know. Yet I haven't actually found any post that would suggest these actually happen with the Rockwheel.

One thing that still bothers me is possible overcharge. As I actually live almost at the very top of the city. My ride always starts as a downhill ride. Not the whole time though, more like 30 meters steep, then 200 meters flat and so forth. Never thought about it with Ninebot and never had a single problem. Yet in other post here I read, when the beep from overcharge happens, you have to stop like RIGHT NOW, or faceplant is inevitable. Is there also a TILT BACK for every type of beep, including overcharging? With my new helmet I'm not 100% sure I would always hear the beep. And the added noise from the traffic wouldn't help it either.

I'm going for the 858Wh from the Rockwheel Store at Ali. The description is a bit outdated since it's talking about 60V vs 80V, but it actually seem both to be 84V and only difference is battery capacity. So I hope, buying the cheeper one does not go with the extra overheating as the description suggests since it's actually talking about 60V. Also it's hard for me to distinguish V2 from V1. I hope it's already only V2 their selling. With all the beeps and tilt backs in place ?

Welcome to the forum. ??

I have the GT16 with 858wh for more than 1 year  with over 1300km and can’t say anything bad about it. I bought it from the same seller.

As far as I know they only sell the 84V version. So with the 858wh Version you will not make any mistake. ?

@Yi Chen maybe the description text at the GT16 article on AliExpress needs to be updated. Thanks 

But with 100% charge I would not recommend start riding immediately downhill...

Thank you, can't wait.

18 hours ago, da_toni said:

But with 100% charge I would not recommend start riding immediately downhill...

Makes sense, yet it's gonna be a bit hard to check the wheel all the time while charging and plug it out before it hits 100% (plus it need to be fully charge from time to  time anyway).

What about the beeps. Are all the beeps accompanied with the tilt backs?

6 hours ago, SaiXHardt said:

yet it's gonna be a bit hard to check the wheel all the time while charging and plug it out before it hits 100% (plus it need to be fully charge from time to  time anyway).

It isn’t at all hard if you use a charge doctor http://hobby16.neowp.fr/buy/ you can set it to stop charging at a particular voltage or when the current drops to a threshold value (say 1 Amp for example).

You are correct, the simple balancing circuits in most BMS (Battery Management Systems) only start to balance the cells once close to full voltage. However you do not need to do it too often (say once every 10 charges or so) especially if you don’t fully charge or fully discharge. I.e. balancing is most important if you know you are going on a long run where you need every Wh and may run the battery low as well.

I never tried that or made an experience with 100% charge riding downhill and if it is tilting back... Also if we ride with the kingsong KS18A and the rockwheel, the batteries got earlier empty on the KS18A instead of the rockwheel. ?

But ones I think it was about 15-20% charge it beeped shortly with tiltback if you are to fast. But most of the time I started charging at 20-30% till 100%.

@Scatcat maybe you can share your tiltback/beep experience? ?

13 hours ago, da_toni said:

I never tried that or made an experience with 100% charge riding downhill and if it is tilting back... Also if we ride with the kingsong KS18A and the rockwheel, the batteries got earlier empty on the KS18A instead of the rockwheel. ?

But ones I think it was about 15-20% charge it beeped shortly with tiltback if you are to fast. But most of the time I started charging at 20-30% till 100%.

@Scatcat maybe you can share your tiltback/beep experience? ?

Going downhill with 100% charge is no fun at all. It doesn't tilt-back. Instead when it reaches overcharge it beeps like 2*5 times and then shuts off. Do not brake in that situation if you can avoid it. If you have the space to do it, turn and stop. Braking feeds even more current to the batteries, so it just speeds up the shut off. I do have very scary experience of how fun that is...

With the V1 BMS, you actually need to plug the batteries into your regular charger before you can turn them on again. That was a bug in the early BMSs and THAT problem should not be present in V2.

Personally I always check Wheellog or the Rockwheel app before going downhill, to make sure I have a few volts of headroom before the batteries gets overcharged. Just being at 80V rather than 82-84 makes all the difference - well, unless you're going down a mountain. If you have to many volts to feel totally safe, do a tight slalom to consume some current while going down.

At low charge the EUC protects itself and you by warning and tilting back at low speeds. In reality you should never go below 20% by choice. Max safe speed at 20% is <20kph. Go slow and go home (or to the nearest charger at least ;) ).

Archived